I literally grew up with a dad who thought he could beat the gay out of me and honestly thought he was doing a favor to me (I grew up in a very homophobic and christian family) but the jokes on him because now, he needs me just to change lightbulbs and such. I honestly feel bad about it though because he actually did a ton of nice things for me and went pretty far out of his way to give me a fun and nice childhood. As such though, it's not hard for me to get in a defensive position or prepare to have the crap knocked out of me. Getting beat up at home and at school (over there, it was bullys; not my dad. I was an easy target) was a pretty normal event for me. I'm with a double-edge now. He looked out for me and did many nice things and now honestly needs somebody to look out for him but, at the same time, there were a few years wherein I honestly feared death at his hands.