Scottish Finance Secretary Derek Mackay Quits over Sexy Messages to 16-year-old Schoolboy

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
E7imWyx.jpg

Scotland's finance secretary has quit hours before delivering his budget amid reports that he messaged a 16-year-old boy on social media.

The Scottish Sun said that Derek Mackay contacted the schoolboy over a six-month period, and told him that he was "cute".

Mr Mackay said he had "behaved foolishly" and took full responsibility for his actions.

He also apologised "unreservedly" to the boy and his family.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said she did not know about Mr Mackay's "unacceptable" behaviour until Wednesday evening, and is "not aware of any further allegations" against him.

In a statement to the Scottish Parliament, she confirmed that he has been suspended by the SNP while further investigations are carried out.

qbYAbA7.jpg

Finance Secretary Derek Mackay, 42, pestered the lad, 16, in private on Instagram and Facebook over six months after contacting him out of the blue.

The boy’s furious mum called for Nicola Sturgeon to sack the cabinet minister, while a leading abuse expert said police should investigate.

The mother said: “A man like that is not supposed to say these sort of things to a boy.”

The boy’s mum accused Mr Mackay of targeting her son after it emerged the Holyrood chief sent him the messages despite knowing he was 16.

The Finance Secretary asked the fresh-faced teenager to dinner and offered to make him his guest at a parly rugby event after befriending him out of the blue on Facebook and Instagram.

E9bFViz.jpg

The openly-gay dad of two — who came out in 2013 when leaving his wife — liked snaps of the rugger-mad youngster in his sports gear and even pinged direct messages to him on Christmas Day.

In a number of exchanges it is clear the boy is choosing not to reply — while Mr Mackay repeatedly instigates online communication with him.

Many of the messages were sent on or around days when Mr Mackay was on official business — including an event at the controversial Ferguson shipyard on the Clyde and an anti-Brexit campaign.

Some of the messages have been redacted to protect the child’s anonymity.

The schoolboy and his mum agreed to reveal the messages as they believe Mr Mackay has abused his position.

dw65xpi.jpg

When asked what action she believes should be taken against Mr Mackay, the mum added: “Nicola Sturgeon should remove him from his position.

“I don’t know if he should lose his job but he should be dealt with very seriously. I hope he can take lessons from this situation and something must happen that forces him to think about what he’s done.”

The boy said: “He should be made to apologise, not just to me but to everyone else who has been let down by this. I think he should be sacked to be honest.”
The Scottish Government declined to comment.

Back