Romanian Judo Athlete "Adrian Merge" Dies aged 35

metalmachine

Morgue Intrude
Staff member

Romanian athlete Merge Adrian Nicolae "Adrian Merge" passed away at the age of 35. The Romanian Judo Federation announced his death on social media.

He lost the battle against Multiple sclerosis (MS)

" As far as I know he suffered from a disease called lateral sclerosis, a degenerative disease and he could not be treated anymore. He discovered it about 3-5 years ago, when he abandoned his activity as a performance athlete. He underwent all kinds of treatments in Italy and Serbia, but he couldn't be saved anymore. I feel so sorry for him, he was a healthy guy! He started his activity at Liberty Oradea, being discovered by the coach Valentin Bonca, after which he - I took over at LPS - Liberty in 2000, then he arrived at CSM, until 2018, when he retired "​

Merge was Romanian Champion U73kg in 2011 and won medals at Balkan Championships in his categories U73kg and U81kg in which he fought countless top opponents such as current Turkish Judo Federation President Sezer Huysuz, former European Champion Vedat Albayrak, Dex Elmont, Tomo Marijanovic and Riki Nakaya.

In his successful year 2011 he competed at the World Championships. At European Championships he fought in Istanbul, Chelyabinsk and Budapest in 2011, 2012 and 2013. He took a bronze medal at the European Cup in belgrade in 2011 and 2012, first U73kg in 2012 U81kg.

Merge stood out as a young talent where he competed at Cadet and Junior European Championships. In Rotterdam in 2004 he captured a bronze medal at the Cadet Europeans U66kg.

He lived in Oradea and trained at the familiar judo club CSM Oradea. The city is considered as one of the judo capitals of Romania where he was personal trainer and fitness instructor.

Great body poor dude what a waste he was super fit and muscled. Also sweet face and perfect age for a medical cadaver. RIP.

Back