Art Of War

INSTIGATOR
Created a place for you members requesting more info on Bulgaria.

I shall start first.

Meat Pie,

What was it like growing up in the 90s in regards to the collapse of Yugoslavia and the conflicts that came afterwards? How did your country take it? What were the impacts on your country and its impact on Bulgaria even to this day? What do Bulgarians think now about it?

Very curious to know as Bulgaria is neighbors with Serbia.

Bulgaria and Yugoslavia were extremely friendly back before the war, Bulgarians loved Yugoslav TV their programme was more lively and fun lots of music and tv series.

I remember I watched a lot of Australian tv series on Yugoslav tv station called PINK. They are still a popular tv station in Serbia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTV_Pink

Yugoslav music played across Bulgarian discos and their singers had a huge fan base here and sold thousands of records.

Their nation started to fall apart in 1991 and after the fuel embargo was imposed Bulgarians started smuggling gas into Yugoslavia with their private cars posing as tourists and shoppers.

Every morning you could see men fitting plastic bottles filled with fuel in their cars then covering them all up.

Our neighbours profited greatly, whole Bulgarian border towns became affulent by smuggling fuel.

Men gave up their jobs and become smugglers.

The war ended and a few years later Bulgaria joined the EU but Serbia did not and now the two countries are estranged from each other.

what are the most profound changes in your immediate neighborhood over the last 15 yrs?
socially, visually , and economically .................

University Mall down the road had a wonderful tent roof over the center aisles.
Then around 2009, it was torn down for the new Target @ Park Avenue Mall.
It's only a 20 minute walk from my house. ( near S. University and 12th St.)

What are Bulgarian shopping malls like?

Last edited:
what are the most profound changes in your immediate neighborhood over the last 15 yrs?
socially, visually , and economically .................

Visually new some new roads were built and a brand new swimming pool opened near our house, huge parking lot otherwise not much change, we plant new trees every year but they gypsies come and uproot them which makes us all sad even old grannies get angry when they see a beautiful young tree uprooted or cut up.

Gypsies destroy everything in their path - a few years ago they stole all the metal sewer lids and they also regularly steal road signs and use them in their homes as barbecue or tables o play cards on.

Gypsies also steal several km of train tacks every month and they destroyed dozens of Siemens trains last week with stones, a train driver was hit by a stone and badly injured.

I don't hate anyone, Earth is fucked anyway although gypsies are definately big day to day annoyance.

I was just saying... I've had my own encounters with em but they sound very different to you in Bulgaria.

I don't hate anyone, Earth is fucked anyway although gypsies are definately big day to day annoyance.

I understand that Bulgaria is next door to Romania, hence the no getting away from it.

Still, why?

It is like the Americans saying they hate the Mexican illegal immigrants or someone say they hate Indians because they smell.

Surely you must have known some awesome gypsies in your time?
If not, why?

Not hating, just find your answer a bit weak, that is all :peace:

Gypsies have a completely different way of life that's handed down generations and even though they are born Bulgarian citizens they live in seperate ghettos, they follow their own rules, they are more like a tribe and have their own gypsy king.

Gypsies have a completely different way of life that's handed down generations and even though they are born Bulgarian citizens they live in seperate ghettos, they follow their own rules, they are more like a tribe and have their own gypsy king.

Is it their cultural traditions that dictate their interactions with other groups of people?
If so, some examples please? Curiosity has gotten the better of me.

Back