Motoboy hit by tire

I've seen several *motorcyclist dismounted by flying tire* videos. What amazes me is that the motorcycle always continues smoothly.

Motorcycles are actually pretty stable at speed. It's the rider that fucks up. Or is fucked up by flying events.
---
I was riding Route 2 East near Boston following a pickup truck that was hauling a dirt bike. And also a cube of wood at least 18 inches on each side. Perhaps it was a block to hold up the bike for service.

For some reason, the driver accelerated such that the block bounced out of the truck, right in front of me.

I slammed on the brakes, and made an emergency move to the right lane (bikers get this: PUSH right, PULL left, you're in a different lane now.) The block bounced crazily all over the road until it leaped the barrier into the West bound lane. I cringed waiting for sounds of a crash.

I didn't hear anything. I didn't read anything on the news later.

Everyone got lucky that day.

PUSH left, PULL right of course works to make an emergency move to the left lane.
Wise bikers check first to see if there is anything there. If they have time.
If they don't, sometimes throwing the dice is a better bet.
---
You have one second to decide.
The minimum reaction time of a human being is around 3/4 of a second.

I crashed my bike at Loudon, NH, riding in the pit. It was thankfully at low speed.
I went around a corner at the same time that another biker came around the same corner in the opposite direction.
I remember deciding on a course of evasion, and trying to execute it.
Then we smacked together, and I was on the ground, with the motorcycle pinning me.
Reviewing the video, it was less than one second after the other rider came into view until we hit each other.
After we hit, I was thrown forcefully to the ground. That took about a tenth of a second.
Humans are helpless in that scale of time.

Back