In Pictures: Remembering 9/11, 20 years on

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
It has been 20 years since the September 11 attacks. Here is my selection of rare photos showing people stuck or falling from WTC towers as well as human body parts and meat on the streets below.

At least 200 people jumped to their deaths far more than can be seen in the photographs taken that morning. Nearly all were from the north tower, which was hit first and collapsed last. Fewer than a dozen were from the south tower.

The jumping started shortly after the first jet hit at 8:46 a.m. People jumped continuously during the 102 minutes that the north tower stood. Two people jumped as the north tower began to fall at 10:28 a.m., witnesses said.

For those who jumped, the fall lasted 10 seconds. They struck the ground at just less than 150 miles per hour — not fast enough to cause unconsciousness while falling, but fast enough to ensure instant death on impact. People jumped from all four sides of the north tower. They jumped alone, in pairs and in groups.

Most came from the north tower's 101st to 105th floors, where the Cantor Fitzgerald bond firm had offices, and the 106th and 107th floors, where a conference was underway at the Windows on the World restaurant. Others leaped from the 93rd through 100th floor offices of Marsh & McLennan insurance company.

Intense smoke and heat, rather than flames, pushed people into this horrific choice. Flight 11 struck the 94th through 98th floors of the north tower, shooting heat and smoke up elevator shafts and stairways in the center of the building. Within minutes, it would have been very difficult to breathe. That drove people to the windows 1,100 to 1,300 feet above ground.

There were several reasons more people jumped from the north tower than from the south. The fire was more intense and compact in the north tower. The jet hit higher, so smoke was concentrated in 15 floors compared with 30 floors in the south tower, which was hit on the 78th through 84th floors. The north tower also stood longer: 102 minutes vs. 56 minutes. And twice as many people were trapped on the north tower's upper floors than in the south tower, where occupants had 161/2 minutes to evacuate before the second jet hit.

The New York medical examiner's office says it does not classify the people who fell to their deaths on Sept. 11 as "jumpers."

"A 'jumper' is somebody who goes to the office in the morning knowing that they will commit suicide," says Ellen Borakove, spokeswoman for the medical examiner's office. "These people were forced out by the smoke and flames or blown out."

She says the medical examiner's office couldn't determine who jumped because the injuries were similar to those suffered by the people killed in the collapse of the towers. The manner of death for all those who died was listed as homicide on death certificates.

9MVrmZE.jpg

Edna Clinton clinging to exterior column in the impact zone of the North Tower shortly before it collapsed.

2lPnDvu.jpg

Photographer Richard Drew captured some of history’s most terrifying imаges, including the ‘Fаlling Mаn’ аnd ‘Fаlling Womаn.’ Kаren Judаy wаs the ‘Fаlling Womаn.’

D3fhqtq.jpg

52-year-old Karen Juday, an administrative assistant for the Cantor Fitzgerald brokerage, jumped from the 101st floor of the burning north tower.

wEGmIbu.jpg

She was a local of New Bremen in NYC. Her workplace was located on the hundred and first flooring of the building. She had moved to Brooklyn to be together with her boyfriend, Richard Pecorella. After 9/11, she was honored by the city, which named a small part of the street on the nook of 64th Avenue and 20th Avenue in her Bensonhurst neighborhood in her honor.

Surprised I've not seen this pic before, at least not this much clarity. Crazy stuff. To involuntarily commit suicide, wonder what thoughts were going through their head.

The person who took the photos kept them to himself for many years and didn't release them online because of backlash from the public and in his own words most people want to forget about the thousands of horrific deaths on 9/11 and seeing those closeup photos in particular that clearly show the faces of peope tumbling down fully conscious and aware that in seconds they will be mush on the pavement is deepling disturbing to any human as falling from a great height is our most primal and greatest fear in life.

The fear of falling is innate meaning every person is born with it.

We are born with only two innate fears: the fear of falling and the fear of loud sounds.
A 1960 study evaluated depth perception among 6- to14-month-old infants, as well as young animals. Researchers placed the subjects on a platform that had plexiglass just beyond its edge to it to see how many of the subjects would actually step over the "visual cliff." Most of the subjects -- both children and animals -- didn't go "over" and step out on to the plexiglass. The fear of falling is an instinct necessary for the survival of many species

That's why we react so strongly to such images and the ffact that over 200 people jumped or fell to their deaths.

The deaths of all victims of 9/11 were horrific but for those who fell from such great height it is truly a rare type of death.

There are high resolution videos of people falling from the WTC 1 and as they reach terminal veolocity estimates suggest many were flying at 320 km/h (200 mph or 90 m/s).

The speed with which the bodies hit the ground is incredible and this was estimted based on instruments attached to speed skydivers. Witnesses reported that the bodies exploded on impact and YouTube videos show the same.

The person who took the photos kept them to himself for many years and didn't release them online because of backlash from the public and in his own words most people want to forget about the thousands of horrific deaths on 9/11 and seeing those closeup photos in particular that clearly show the faces of peope tumbling down fully conscious and aware that in seconds they will be mush on the pavement is deepling disturbing to any human as falling from a great height is our most primal and greatest fear in life.

The fear of falling is innate meaning every person is born with it.

We are born with only two innate fears: the fear of falling and the fear of loud sounds.
A 1960 study evaluated depth perception among 6- to14-month-old infants, as well as young animals. Researchers placed the subjects on a platform that had plexiglass just beyond its edge to it to see how many of the subjects would actually step over the "visual cliff." Most of the subjects -- both children and animals -- didn't go "over" and step out on to the plexiglass. The fear of falling is an instinct necessary for the survival of many species

That's why we react so strongly to such images and the ffact that over 200 people jumped or fell to their deaths.

The deaths of all victims of 9/11 were horrific but for those who fell from such great height it is truly a rare type of death.

There are high resolution videos of people falling from the WTC 1 and as they reach terminal veolocity estimates suggest many were flying at 320 km/h (200 mph or 90 m/s).

The speed with which the bodies hit the ground is incredible and this was estimted based on instruments attached to speed skydivers. Witnesses reported that the bodies exploded on impact and YouTube videos show the same.
Wow.. Thank you for such an insightful and detailed response. Truly fascinating to read.

Did not know about the study nor the innate fears, but it makes total sense. There are other innate/hereditary/evolutionary traits, such as an animals maternal instinct, so an innate fear is not such a far cry to comprehend, had just never really thought about it before.

Of course yes this is true and thank you for your kind words I had serious fear of water as a kid I couldn't get into a swimming pool even let alone sea or river...until a swimming instructor pushed me into deep water 4-5 metres deep I had no choice but to overcame the initial panic I later started swimming by myself in the Black Sea.

All innate fears can be overcome by practice including the fear of heights. They say for BASE jumpers it takes 5 to 6 years to get fully used to heights. Still it is considered the most dangerous extreme sports.

Wow, talk about trial by fire.. or more aptly in that case, water!
Not the most conventional of teachings I must say. That could have had adverse effects and instead of triggering a fight-or-flight response aiding you to overcome the fear, it could have caused trauma further ingraining your fear. Thankfully for you it was the better outcome, that probably says more about your innate mental strength than it does your instructors teachings though.

I'm not surprised its takes them 5-6 years to be become truly accustomed to it. Heck the bodily response to slightly leaning too far back on a chair gives an almighty jolt/reflex, let alone taking the plunge.

Good points. The saddest thing though is that as people jumped or fell from the World Trade Center some young dudes white Americans and some black girls in nearby buildings were watching and laughing clearly enjoying themselves by witnessing the tragedy.

Shortly before the second plane hit and as people fell from the North Tower a young dude is seen on video laughing and saying "oh, wow cool." :facepalm:

This was all recorded on videos and the videos are still available on YouTube.

You won't find an article or news reports about this but it is a sad part of 9/11.

Short YouTube clip shows person falling from WTC get pulverized on impact with a lamp post.

Remains of person who fell from the World Trade Center.

gg7KnCV.jpg

Last edited:
Several guys fall and launch themselves from the North Tower (bottom left corner) while Edna Clinton waives from the impact hole. A few metres to the right of here there is another person clinging to the exterior columns.

r6BukVQ.jpg

View out of north-facing window of South Tower looking up at east face of North Tower following first plane hit.

Several guys fall and launch themselves from the North Tower (bottom left corner) while Edna Clinton waives from the impact hole. A few metres to the right of her there is another person clinging to the exterior columns.

Wow, this is insane. A truly fascinating, but gruelling watch.

You can see that the second plane hit more on the corner than the first one at a much lower height, creating a greater structural weak point than the first plane. This meant more weight was resting on/above said weak point, so when it collapses you can see that weak point gave way/buckled and the top of the building tipped over and fell on the rest of the building below it. To give a possibly somewhat crude analogy (but not meant in bad taste), its quite like someone took too many side pieces out of a Jenga tower too low down and it toppled. Or another way to put it, imagine sitting on a chair with 4 legs, then take one of those legs away. This is what caused the South Tower to collapse first, despite being hit after the North Tower. Far greater initial structural stressors.

With the 2nd collapse, because the plane had hit dead in the centre/face of the building and much higher up, the weight was more evenly distributed and "less" structural damage was caused. To re-use my chair analogy, the North Tower remained to have all 4 legs of the chair intact. This meant that the building could withstand the added stresses for longer, leaving the fire to do its work. You can see leading up to the 2nd collapse that the building is starting to glow red, like the red irradiating heat of metal in a forge (or lava), meaning that the building was quite literally melting from the inside. The inferno was melting the structural supports inside out, leading to the rather uniform ("controlled demolition like"/concertina) floor by floor collapse, because the centre of the building is what gave way, it didn't topple over.

I am not a engineer or any sort, I am just a curious viewer with an interest in science (physics in this case), and I'm just voicing what I perceive when viewing this. If I have got anything wrong, please correct me, I am most interested to understand better.

Last edited:

Good points but you are missing a few very important facts.

United Airlines Flight 175 struck the South Tower not only lower but at much greater speed than American Airlines Flight 11 radar evidence confirms the plane was travelling at 500 miles per hour (800 km/h; 220 m/s; 430 kn) thats's over 160km/h faster than Flight 11.

Flight 175 was diving so fast that it was in danger of breaking up in the air as it approached the South Tower. The additional kinetic energy as you correctly pointed out dislodged and blew out more fireproofing material leaving more steel columns and floor trusses unprotected.

In YouTube videos you can see the South Tower began to sway violently in the first second of impact like in an earthquake and structural engineers estimate the offset at the top of the building was up to a metre.

According to the offical FEMA report fire within the buildings caused thermal expansion of the floors both in a horizontal and outwards direction pushing against the rigid exterior steel columns and the inner core which deflected to an extent but resisted further movement.

JH3ypio.jpg

With the columns resisting movement there was nowhere else for the concrete floors to expand to. This led to an increased buildup of stress in the already sagging floors until the floor framing and connections gave in.

The floors’ failure pulled the exterior columns back inwards which in turn began to buckle under the pressue.

More floors then began collapsing. The collapsing floors then fell on more floors below and at that moment total progressive collapse was unavoidable.

I was not aware that 175 was in such a rapid decent/dive, had always thought they were both somewhat levelled off. I knew it was banking heavily, but thought it's altitude was someone constant.

Thank you for this info. Nice to know that my uninformed observational babbling was at least partially correct, but I should research more before yapping away.

I remember the day that this happened, was relatively young though. Came home not long before the South Tower collapsed. I believe it to be the first time I truly comprehended how fucked up this world can be. Of course other atrocities had occurred in my lifetime before then, but I think due to its magnitude, it's the one I first really paid attention to.

Last edited:
How old were you? I too watched everything live on TV we only had CNN back then they were the first news organization to break the story of 9/11 and for the days that followed had continous coverage 24/7 I spent hours glued to the TV.

Everything happened so quickly we knew immediately there was massive loss of life but it is only now 20 years later thanks to uncesnored YouTube videos that I am able to see the true scale and horror that unfolded that day.

I can only describe it as a complete massacre the death toll is staggering and the deaths were horrific especially those who fell/jumped they were fully conscious
and could see hear people below until they exploded on impact.

Some fell on the roof ot the Marriot hotel and firefighters who found them said they were whole corpses in a relatively good shape.

Doctors who later had to collect the remains in bags could only stand the smell of rotting and burnt human flesh for a couple of hours before they asked for replacement. Some of those guys and girls who had the task to collect the bodies and parts in bags first had to describe the contents of the stuff they were placing into the bags and they later revealed cocks of some of the guys were still attached to their torsos but many were without limbs or with missing heads.

The stench of decomposing flesh mixed with kerosene, burnt furniture and thousands of others harmful toxins drifted over the entire city for months.

At and above ground zero it was overpowering. Even President Bush who visited ground zero a couple of days later in a helicopter said they smell was detectable in the air above the city and only got stronger as they neared the site.

Your comments and observations are welcome. If you have links to interesting links about the attacks please share.

I recommend this documentary from National Geographic that was released a couple of months ago the video quality on some of the footage is impressive.

I was around the age of 11, and yes I too was glued to the news for the days following, as were my family.

Aye, the initial loss of life was apparent from the get go, but its the loss of life following that gets me the most. I think of what those in the North Tower were thinking following the collapse of the South Tower, knowing then what fate must surely await them, Those of whom went into the North Tower following the collapse of the South, and of course the jumpers through the entire ordeal. Truly heart-wrenching.

I'm surprised to hear that some jumpers remains were intact atop the Marriot, as that was "only" 22 stories high, that is still an unfathomable distance for a body to withstand from a fall from the main towers

It's hard for me to comprehend the stench of death in such a situation, having never smelt it myself. The only corpses I have been close to have been of family members not long passed (minutes/hours).

Thank you for the documentary recommendation I shall give this a watch. There is probably not much that I know that you haven't already seen or are aware of, but I shall link anything I find of interest. I recently downloaded about 130gb worth of 9/11 conspiracy videos lol (one big torrents worth). I am not a 9/11 conspiracist myself, but I find them fascinating to watch.

Regarding the collapse of the World Trade Center the conclusion in the final report of the National Construction Safety Team is that the aircraft impact removed a significant portion of the fireproofing, contributing to the buildings' collapse. In WTC 1 the impact stripped the insulation off 43 of 47 core columns on more than one floor as well as floor trusses over a space of 60,000 sq ft (5,600 m2). In WTC 2 the impact removed insulation from 39 of the 47 columns on multiple floors and from floor trusses spanning an area of 80,000 sq ft (7,400 m2).

Top of the North Tower and rare photo from inside during construction.

0A8mqPl.png

vCpvViu.png

WEH5Jv7.png

Back