phyzzique

Forum Elite
Established Member
Sean Matti

MONTICELLO, Ind. (AP)

Authorities have found the body of a Purdue football player in a northern Indiana lake two days after he was last seen going swimming during a party with friends.

Officers with the Indiana Department of Natural Resources say the body of 22-year-old Sean Matti was found Tuesday morning in Lake Freeman, about 20 yards from shore. Autopsy and blood test results were pending.

"Purdue football is a family, and I am terribly saddened by the loss of one of our young men," Purdue head coach Danny Hope said in a statement. "[My wife's] and my prayers continue to go out to Sean's family and all his friends and loved ones. He was a special young man whose positive spirit will be a part of our program forever."

State conservation officers say the Shoreview, Minn., native was last seen about 5 p.m. Sunday and that friends spent six hours looking for Matti before calling police. The search continued Monday.

"On behalf of the entire Purdue Boilermaker family, our hearts go out to Sean's family ... and all those who knew and loved him," Purdue athletic director Morgan Burk said. "It is during difficult times like these that families must unite to grow stronger, and we extend our hands out to help however we can."

Matti had been a walk-on running back with Purdue's football team since 2007.

Back