DocumentingReality Restrictions on Registered Users

m3Gb1nW.png

DR members continue to pull stuff from our forums and the admin Chris is asking for $50,000 donation goal for server costs for his awesome repost site.

We respect our members and offer free registration and free membership but given the current situation only our elite users will have access to the site from Friday, May 19 until further notice.

I know this will destroy our community but we will no longer supply other websites with free content which in turn is used for their financial gain.

Meatpie, I am very sorry to hear this and I do hope we can find a better solution, but I do understand the situation.

In view of this, any non-Elites who know me reasonably well are welcome to PM me about swapping email, Messenger etc - at the moment I am not on anything else but this may prompt me to change that. I am careful about sharing anything o f this sort so the answer may be no - if so please understand and do not take offence.
In view of the short timescale, if you are willing to give me a contact point without any guarantee of mine in return, that may be sensible.

What better solution can you suggest?

I want CDG to remain free but those bastards are killing us did you see their current donation amount?

None off the top of my head.

For anyone who wants to keep a touch and doesn't manage to sort it with me in time, my PMs here get auto-forwarded to my email. So if you can get a PM to me here, via someone who can still get on if necessary, it will reach me even if I'm not around.

And we could use PMs on another site as a 'bridge' , not necessarily death-related - I'm sure someone would at as honest broker if necessary

Btw, I'm not that desperate! These suggestions are as much for others, perhaps caught out completely - if you both want to keep in touch there's bound to be a way. But do be thoughtful about privacy issues if one wants and the other hasn't said and may not want.

Btw, I'm not that desperate!

Of course you aren't! What you ARE is very helpful, with suggestions for those who would like to find a way around a difficult situation. Thank you for thinking it through for us. :D

Unfortunate News

I've been registered on CDG for nearly six years, and although I don't visit as often as I once did before all the limitations crept into the picture, I do still enjoy the site on those occasions when I am allowed to log in for awhile...

It is the nature of niche websites to have relatively few members, and our niche is about as small as you can get. That means when fees began to be charged they were necessarily higher than many of us are comfortable paying...

Someday books will be written about how the internet devolved into a "Tragedy of the Commons" situation, where freeloaders ruined it for everyone else...

Sorry to see CDG get painted into a corner, but c'est la guerre... :sad2:

I have always been a "freeloader" here, but I never felt I was ruining anything for anyone. CDG gave the option to pay or not pay, and I chose to "not pay". Now that the site is becoming "pay" only, we all, once again, have a choice: pay or go. I fully understand the need for CDG to charge for membership, and I am going to amicably part ways with this forum because I just can't justify the expense. I don't believe there is any argument or animosity on either side, and I don't believe I am now or ever have been a spoiler. I really do wish Meatpie and Cute Dead Guys the best of luck, and who knows -- when I find a rich boyfriend, I may be back! :D

Sad that restrictions are going to be imposed. Thanks for the helpful suggestion, deaddirty. I will miss reading your witticisms here, for sure. Never expected I could laugh my head off over postings on a gore site, but your one-liners and rejoinders have made many of us enjoy CDG all the more. I was hoping to join the secret room at the end of the year, when I will have a few more coins to jingle in my pocket, with the hope that it would coincide with one of those year-end promotions that Meatpie sometimes puts on. I am an old man, and as much as I would like to contribute in terms of an elite membership, funds are on the low side at the moment. Will get a few more posts in today for the road, and hope to get back on it again some time in the distant future. Thank you, CDG, for being free and avaiable for so long. Great stuff, great site, great admins and moderators, and great content.

Alex, you have absolutely not been a spoiler, you have one of the guys who have made this site what is, and very much a contributor! Some of us contribute with money, 'real' content or original artwork stories etc, some with thoughtful, intelligent (Mike803 as just added himself to that list) amusing or just interesting comments, all of which bar the remarkably few negative ones have contributed it making CDG the real community has been and I hope will continue to be, somehow. Many others may not contribute much if at all, but take nothing out bar the bandwidth of their visits.
Sadly at the moment it's the money that's crucial, and the few parasites that take take take without giving anything back.
I do hope we find a way back from this, but anyone who doesn't end up getting back, go well and glad to have known you (well, most of you). Hope it's not like that though!

Alex, you have absolutely not been a spoiler, you have one of the guys who have made this site what is, and very much a contributor!

True, we value and respect all our members. Thanks everyone for the feedback both here and via our support system.

I'm going to miss this website. I've contributed here as far as content is concerned and generally enjoyed myself. I do admit I was not happy when the restrictions came up but I dealt with them. I was fine with the whole pay or no pay. I chose not to pay because I don't make a whole lot and I have to seriously budget to within about fifty bucks. So I can't afford a membership here. It would break my system. I'm sorry that others are doing this, though I have to ask if timing on it is coincidental or if someone really stole it? I'm kind of leaning more towards the it happened nearly around the same time as more than likely you and DR are drawing from the same sources. Those are just my opinions.

I'm sorry that others are doing this, though I have to ask if timing on it is coincidental or if someone really stole it? I'm kind of leaning more towards the it happened nearly around the same time as more than likely you and DR are drawing from the same sources.

Oh, they stole it alright, Sessha. Some of the image posts at competitor sites still have the CDG watermarks on them.

Oh, they stole it alright, Sessha. Some of the image posts at competitor sites still have the CDG watermarks on them.

I don't doubt it happened. I was just offering the idea forward as I don't have membership there myself. Even still I think restricting membership is a bit of an extreme almost rage quit level type stuff.

You are right to an extent Sassha. When the same stuff appears on two sites there can be four reasons: they lifted it from us; we lifted it from them; the same person posted it on both; and different people found the same stuff at about the same time. I'm sure all four of those do and did happen, and of course unless images are watermarked the site owner has no easy way of knowing. But the amount of our st0uff that seemed to be around on there (and was 'private source' to us eg most of the morgue material, not googlefodder), was way beyond 'fair exchange is no robbery'.
I do hope we can come to a better solution though, or keep this very temporary - it would be such huge loss, to us payers too, if all the non-payers were permanently excluded.

Our sources are exclusive both morgue workers and police. That's why DocumentingReality repost whores like is so much.

That train suicide lad was also exclusive find, we received the photo set less than an hour after he killed himself.

What is going to happen with CDG is unavoidable and perhaprs it's natural course of events for a site like ours to shut its doors to the public.

After all we offer brutal uncensored stuff you won't find anywhere else.

If I read the previous correspondence correctly this is going to be one of my last posts. I have enjoyed the stories, drawings and manias and the debates. However I don't particularly like brutal uncensored stuff, actual death is perhaps something where privacy should be respected, although I don't condemn those who enjoy it provided of course that the death is not as a result of the needs of the site. I have no doubt that this is not the case here.
in a way it's a pity the site cannot be split into two, a free site for the fantasy and apart pay site for the reality but I doubt that that would be practical or viable.
Two final comments. firstv to thank all those guys with whom I have debated and corresponded over the last few years, I shall miss you guys. And second to thank Meatpie for setting up the site. It's brought great pleasure to a number of people and will be sadly missed. I hope his new model is successsful even though I, and I suspectmany other members will not be part of it.
Ao I guess this is cheerio time at least once it ceases being open to all. Best of luck to all of you in the future.

And we will miss you too Lindier, If this indeed your last post -I do hope it isn't. Go well if we don't meet again!

in a way it's a pity the site cannot be split into two, a free site for the fantasy and apart pay site for the reality but I doubt that that would be practical or viable.

of course it's practical.

GODADDY.COM

Last edited:
Back