COVID-19 Pandemic World Updates

India cases third-highest globally as Australian state of Victoria closes border

rs3Zo7g.png

Horrific developments with the COVID-19 pandemic worldwide:

India has overtaken Russia with third-highest number of cases; Peru cases pass 300,000; Iran sees highest daily deaths; Spain puts part of Galicia back into lockdown
  • India sees record daily rise as capital opens giant hospital
  • Border closes between Australian states of NSW and Victoria
  • Surge in cases and deaths in Bulgaria

UuNiNAe.jpg

Russia’s official coronavirus case tally rose to 687,862 on Monday after officials reported 6,611 new infections in the last 24 hours, Reuters reports.

Authorities also said 135 people had died overnight, bringing Russia’s official death toll to 10,296.

This seems very odd to me, and the fact that he totally messed up over Western Samoa doesn't inspire confidence. The association with abattoirs and meat packing factories is certainly genuine and the cold conditions may allow the virus to survive on surfaces or in aerosols for far longer than elsewhere. And faecal transmission is certainly possible since it's now known that Covid-19 can infect the gut. But why would environmental conditions suddenly become favourable globally when they never have before? I suppose it's possible that an earlier strain, either much less infective or much less virulent, has been circulating unrecognised for a while, then mutated in the strain we all know and don't love.
Incidentally, recent work on bat viruses has indicated that the best matches for the Covid-19 source virus are in horseshoe bats from the Yunnan province (China), Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam border area, though it doesn't say whether the virus is thought to have jumped directly to humans there or via an animal intermediary.

I wonder if these 'early Covid' results from sewage could be from exposure to some of the other coronaviruses he mentions?

Last edited:
Morgue in Tomsk, Russia overflowing with COVID-19 corpses.

WOW! Years ago Tomsk morgue had an accessible UNID body website. Is it still available? Anyone have a password?

Some good news for once - the Oxford vaccine is looking promising, and the Interferon Beta treatment may be a real gamechanger though the initial trial is small:

Good evening DD and thanks for your update and links. :cheerswine: Definately a positive development and great achievement from the UK. :great:

Thanks Meatpie.

This week's news isn't good, UK or worldwide.
In UK, infections are definitely overall rising though most of that may be due increased testing and contact-tracing picking up loads of asymptomatic and very mild cases that were previously being missed. The relaxations planned for today have been postponed, and some restrictions have been re-imposed in the highest areas (from east Lancashire and Greater Manchester across to Bradford). The areas of concern are a bit wider than that but still the same central strip across England with a few hotspots elsewhere. In the rest of England, and the UK, levels re still generally very low and often falling rather than rising.
Though some of the dramatic colours are just 'noise' - if levels in an area are only say 1-5 cases per week, even one more or less is a dramatic change in percentage terms.

Worldwide, levels are rising sharply In many European countries - Belgium I think now has the highest death rate in Europe, but I'm not sure on which basis that's calculated (I only saw it on a BBC newsfeed). And the BBC has been reporting on the high levels in Bulgaria an d other SE European countries. Elsewhere, Mexico now has the third-highest death rate in the world.

Last edited:
And repeating the Guardian homepage link for coronavirus:
Incidentally hat is the UK homepage - does have and international section, but there are also US and Australian homepages and I'm sure they'll have more on those countries.

Thanks for the updates.

There is a new surge of COVID-19 in Bulgaria with young fit healthy 19 yo guys without any health issues dying from COVID-19.

Here the new wave is also mainly in younger people, and often middle class in non-crowded homes, but so far the cases seem to be mainly very mild.

Incidentally, the BBC reported yesterday on some research in progress suggesting that some people have a degree of genetic resistance or greater vulnerability. And from memory the higher-risk genes were associated with high androgen levels - so that may explain why men are much more likely to die of Covid-19 than women. it's something to do with the ability of the virus to get itself into cells, I think. But work in progress, so may not be confirmed.

Hunger rises as Covid-19 cases surge in Latin America

gRFPpJO.jpg

The relentless rise of hunger, struggling economies, deepening inequality and an active hurricane season are threatening the people of Latin America and the Caribbean and may have far-reaching consequences unless swift action is taken, warns the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP).

As coronavirus cases soar, Latin America has become the region most impacted by COVID-19 globally, accounting for over a quarter of the world’s cases. The health pandemic is driving hunger and food insecurity which risks fuelling conflict and political unrest and forcing vulnerable families to migrate.

Back