Any more information - like what sort of snake, how long it took for him to die?
I'd guess this was an elapid (coral snake, seasnake, cobra, mamba etc) not a viper - viper bites destroy the flesh and are just gross (imho) whereas elapid venom is a nerve poison that kills by paralysis and suffocation. I'd like to see more deaths by elapid snakebite, or detailed accounts.

I would say you are correct if it was a snake bite. It is rare nowadays for people to die from them but he either got a massive dose or was too far away from medical help or both. I couldn't get the face pic to open but it appears the foaming at the mouth would indicate something like a krait or taipan. They have many more deaths than cobra though certainly it could be any of them. He doesn't look African so I ruled out for now the mamba.

Just did a search and I found that 20K people still die a year from snakebite. Yikes. I guess in a world of 6 billion, that isn't so much, but surprised me.

Snakes are one of the oldest creatues on Earth and they have spread all over the globe. Last year a friend of my sister's was bitten in the mountain near granny's house and she nearly lost her arm and was ill for a month.

INFO .

This person had lost his life after snakebite Nahuyaca known as, at that place were the family of the deceased person who met with prosecutors and staff of the municipal police.

Minutes before this, the hospital staff trying to save the life of this person from the municipality of Atzalan, made the call to the city of Xalapa for sending a unit to perform aeromedical transfer, which took no longer out because when the helicopter flew over the area, the patient had already died.

To tell Mr Arcos Antolin Martinez 54 years of age, the deceased person was his son, who in the company of other people were doing their normal activities in the field, this close to half past nine, when suddenly Nahuyaca suddenly surprised by a now deceased, giving him a strong bite on his left arm, for the situation moved the injured to this hospital by entering it about noon in semi-consciousness state.

The now deceased by the name of Arcos Venancio Cruz 34 years of age, residing in the community of Barrancones, in the municipality of Atzalan, who had two snake bite wounds in the middle third of the left arm and a strong hematoma on the same arm, being the time of death, about one-thirty in the afternoon.

The body of the deceased was transferred to their community by staff of the municipality of Atzalan, who provided all facilities for funeral services and transfer to your community.

Thanks for the info. I have found some more:
It is a snake whose common name is Nauyaca real velvet, Also known as yellow beard , its scientific name Brothrops asper. It is a snake subtropical areas of Central America, its name derives from " Nahui "meaning four, and " yacatl "meaning nose or the respiratory system has four pits, is actually two receivers and two thermal mass graves passages, which look like four noses.

It is the viperids the most potent poison Mexico, can measure 2 mAre very nervous , they're always on the defensive against any provocation. Rural workers are more supportive of accidents with the Nauyaca , especially in the legs, causing necrosis , edema, other syndromes, even death. Affected people should be treated immediately, Mexico has very good anti-venom but often can not reach it. It encourages people to take these animals home , or work in places where there Nauyaca find out the poison and how it applies . It is a common terrestrial snake in the Chiapas region in Mexico.

Its habitat is Central America South America and the West Indies , is very common to find refuge in the sugar cane plantations . During the day curled up on itself , blending with the surroundings , night out to find food and when it becomes dangerous. It thermoreceptors allowing you to continue in the darkness the trail of heat that leaves a possible warm-blooded prey .

There are many species , is the real nauyaca ( Brothrops asper ), the jumper ( Brothrops nummifer ) , cold ( Brothrops godmani ) of tabs ( Brothrops schlegii ).

So it is a viper - I am surprised, most viper bites look horrible!
anyone got any good pics or accounts off death from cobra, krait, taipan, mamba, coral snake? Or australian venomous snakes _ I think they are all elapids?

Yeah, we were totally thrown off; new world snakes like this are related to rattlers but much more aggressive. I think this thing is uaully called a Fer de Lance. Yikes; usually destroy a lot of tissue. And not a snake one wants to encounter.

There are no snakes at all in the whole of Ireland. Myth has it that St Patrick cast them all out. The truth though is they didn't make it across the land bridge after the last ice age before Irish sea flooded in. A good place to live if you hate snakes :)

Back