27-year-old Cute & Fit Killed by Blast on his Birthday in the Stan

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
article-0-0860B71D000005DC-135_233x392.jpg

Killed on his 27th birthday: Lieutenant Douglas Dalzell

A soldier killed in an explosion in Afghanistan on his birthday was 'a true hero', his family said tonight.
Lieutenant Douglas 'Dougie' Dalzell from Hamstead Marshall, near Newbury, in Berkshire died in the blast in the Babaji area of southern Afghanistan yesterday. He was named by the MoD last night.
His family released a statement that said: 'Our darling son and brother to Olivia and Angus, you touched the hearts of so many. You are our world and we love you with all our hearts. You only ever looked for the good in people and kept strong and happy in all you did. You are a true hero and we will miss you forever.'
Lieutenant Colonel Toby Gray, Commanding Officer, 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards, said the 27-year-old was 'assured, confident, utterly professional and hugely popular with his men and held in the highest regard by his seniors'.
He went on: 'It was clear to me that he adored his job and his guardsmen in equal measure. He was tragically killed on his 27th birthday doing the job he loved and leading from the front.
'The gap he leaves in his Company, the Battalion and Officers' mess is enormous. We all mourn his death and will miss his gentle yet keen sense of humour.'
Major Toby Till said he was 'immensely proud' to have worked with Lt Dalzell, who was 'a born leader'.
The soldier's Platoon Sergeant and close friend Sergeant John Amer was killed in November last year.
Captain Jamie Russell, Adjutant, 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards, said: 'Dougie was possessed of such a unique blend of professionalism and charm. He shone throughout his short career and could always be trusted to do anything exceptionally well.
'It was deeply humbling to watch from afar how Dougie steered his Platoon through the last four months; whether through success or tragedy he was quite clearly always leading from the front.

His men responded by giving him their complete trust and they would have followed him anywhere. The regiment will be a darker place without this bright star and we will all miss him dearly.Other colleagues said he was an 'irresistibly likeable character' who had 'enormous kindness, honour and strength'.
Defence Secretary Bob Ainsworth said: 'I was deeply saddened to hear of the death of Lieutenant Douglas Dalzell.
'He was clearly a gifted leader and an inspiration to his men, never asking them to do something he had not already done himself.
'He had a promising career ahead of him and had already contributed much to the safety and security of the UK and Afghanistan; he made the ultimate sacrifice for his country. My thoughts are with his family and friends at this very difficult time.'
Another British soldier was shot dead yesterday in the Nad-e-Ali area of central Helmand.
The serviceman from 1st Battalion Scots Guards, part of the 1 Grenadier Guards Battle Group, died while fighting rebels, the Ministry of Defence said.
His family has been told, but his name has not yet been released.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-victim-true-hero-say-family-colleagues.html

He's so beautiful. I'd take any little piece of his corpse I can get.

Must have been an unusual birthday surprise :Birthday Cake:

Back