War is not cool

tirex

Forum Regular
Some politicians love to take advantage of nationalism. Nationalism particularly surges when a country successfully executes some military action. Russia is the a good example, where Putin's approval soared from 60 to 90% after annexation of Crimea. But we all should remember that politicians and thriller movies rarely have something to do with reality. War is always ugly. Nationalism is always irrational. This article in Atlantic magazine shows some pictures from the Gulf war, which are different from what politicians love to see.

https://www.theatlantic.com/interna...no-one-would-publish/375762/?utm_source=atlfb

Nationalism isn't irrational, but it shouldn't damage the the world or be a reason to start a war.

I'm a bit of a xenophobe, so I can understand the attraction nationalism can have.

Fake news; that photo was published in American media. I recall seeing that very photo in local papers of the time, though there were plenty in NYC at the time. It may well have not been published in NYT or Time magazine, but it made all the others.

War is ugly, but sometimes there are things uglier than war. The USA is a product of war. Post-Colonial South Africa and Zimbabwe is a product of war. The Soviet Union and the PRC was a product of war. Unless you would have preferred the time of Kings, Emperors, Apartheid and Slavery?

Back