A VERY HISTORIC happens this Sunday morning at 11AM

ArrowMan

Forum Elite
Elite Member
HISTORY HAPPENS TODAY

A very historic event hap

A very historic event happens at 11AM this very Sunday morning.

For at 11AM this morning,
this will mark the eleventh hour of the eleventh month of the eleventh day
that 100 years ago on this very day World War I ended,

"The War to End all Wars."

"So what,"
you may say?

Well, the world has NEVER EVER been the same since World War 1.
For out of it, Austria, Hungary, Yugoslavia and Poland were born.

Modern strongmen and the fascist (Hitler) and communist political systems (Lenin) grew out of it.
World War 1 introduced submarines, machine guns, poison gas (chemical weapons), grenades, tanks and trench warfare.

It gave us the words "cooties," "tanks," "dough boy," "fed up," "dud," "zeroing in,"
"camouflage," "no man's land" and expanded the meaning of "Yank."
It gave us Daylight Savings Time, the draft (Selective Service System in the USA)

and the war popularized Kleenex, tea bags and zippers.

The world is pausing to remember this momentous occasion
... and not remember it as well.

For USA President Donald Trump, the light rain yesterday was too much of a deterrent
to travel to the World War 1 Aisne-Marne American Cemetery by helicopter in France
with other world leaders to commemorate those fallen soldiers
from this huge first-time world-wide conflict.

Well, not all world leaders or those in the world today will neglect
taking a moment today to show tribute and pay remembrance.

I certainly will not.
What about you?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/10/world/gallery/wwi-centenary-1110/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLZxnSdivm8

Last edited:
Thanks Arrowman.
It was an even more historic occasion than you have indicated - President Macron of France and chancellor Merkel of Germany commemorated it together at the very spot where the armistice agreement was signed, and the German President travelled to London to lay a wreath at our Cenotaph as part of the Remembrance Day ceremony

Her Majesty knows what is right, and would never fail to honor the brave and the fallen. Has Queen Elizabeth always been that small, or is she shrinking with age?

A bit of both - she is 92 after all. And she still carries on her Remembrance Day duties, though now she watches from a balcony rather than lay the wreath at the Cenotaph herself - I guess she dare not risk stepping backwards down the steps.

...she is 92 after all....she dare not risk stepping backwards down the steps.

OMG -- a fall down the steps at her age would result in a broken hip for sure, and a broken hip would be the beginning of her end. I think she should consider using a sedan chair from now on, instead of walking anywhere. The porters had better not drop her!

That's an interesting idea. For the moment she seems fine walking, just so long as she keeps going forwards.

I had never heard the words to that anthem before. I think maybe they should edit out those frames where the soldier is shot in the head. :O Otherwise, it is a rousing tribute. I love the final shot of the Queen in her vermilion finery.

I’m no royalist but I think that the Queen deserves full credit for turning up at the cenotaph ceremony even if it was at an adjacent building. And it contrasts with President Trump’s absence in Paris because he was worried his hair might get messed?
I guess one difference is that Elizabeth lives though the war in London. Had Trump been alive then I suspect he would have seen it out evacuated to a safe location.

Back