Belgian Cyclist "Jimmy Duquennoy" Passes Away after Heart Attack

metalmachine

Morgue Intrude
Staff member
Belgian Cyclist "Jimmy Duquennoy" Passes Away after Heart Attack

Jimmy Duquennoy, a promising 23-year-old cyclist, passed away in the early hours of Saturday morning having been found at his home after having suffered a heart attack.

At no point was Duquennoy ever diagnosed with any form of cardiac condition and most recently competed in the Sparkassern Munsterland race on Wednesday, though he didn't finish.

His team, WB Aqua Protect Veranclassic, made a public statement on social media to announce the devastating news.

His tragic death is another blow for cycling, coming only shortly after another Belgian cyclist, Michael Goolaerts, passed away during the Paris-Roubaix.

Of course he could have had a bum heart from birth, never diagnosed, but my first thought was that he'd been using performance-enhancing drugs that caused an unsupportable strain on his system. Athletes have died young during workouts from using something as mundane as ephedrine.

Over stressing his pump by severe workouts. The heart can only take so much and people can have undiagnosed conditions or conditions that won’t materialise until they’ve forced it to happen by overworking their hearts in such a way. The cardiophile in me wishes I was on top of that sweaty chest listening to it fail. Feeling every flutter and gasp. Hugging him till the very final beat mmmm.

Back