Boeing 737 crashes near Havana airport more than 100 killed

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
v1DcKSW.jpg

A Boeing 737 airliner with 104 passengers on board from Cuba's state airline Cubana de Aviacion has crashed and exploded near Jose Marti International Airport in Havana.

The plane came down shortly after take-off, Prensa Latina news agency said.

Radio Habana Cuba said it was an internal flight from the Cuban capital to Holguin, in the east of the island.

Witnesses told AFP news agency they could see a thick column of smoke near the airport.

f3u7Z6l.jpg

The plane that crashed was a Boeing 737-400, operated by Blue Panorama on behalf of Cubana.

Cubana de Aviacion - Cuba's national carrier - has had to ground some of its aging fleet due to safety issues, though the cause of Friday's crash is unknown. All 104 passengers and crew are feared dead.

A large fireball followed by a towering plume of smoke was visible near the airport on the outskirts of the Cuban capital, according to witnesses.

Video shows thick black smoke rising from the crash site

xJ1PGCj.jpg

Df674gu.jpg

Cuba's president Miguel Diaz-Canel, who was sworn in last month, was quickly on the scene and confirmed that everyone on board was killed in the accident.

You won't get me on a plane either. This was a major crash. I'm surprised that I didn't hear about it in the news.

Back