Gay rights lawyer immolates self in NYC in ecology protest

I can understand how this incident would attract your attention, fireboots. Being a devotee of all that relates to the meeting of fire and flesh, you find personal meaning in this lawyers actions. For my part, I have never understood why protestors think that setting themselves on fire will advance their cause. It is a public spectacle, yes, but afterwards I'll bet the public remembers the burning body and not the political subject matter.

It's all in the spectacular method of suicide Alex!
Immolation, and other fiery endings are all about an extreme demonstration. They get noticed, unlike most other methods of suicide. Mind you, blowing out your brains on live TV does get attention. Choosing a very graphic, and painful, form of suicide does get attention. In this case this man didn't even do it in full view, but it still made the press. I've witnessed a couple of high profile suicides, given that I work beside a bridge that is a favourite place for jumpers, and none of those got any attention, including the suicide of a prominent Judge.

And yes, fire and burnings are my main kink, but this is a political statement, just like the Buddhist monks in Vietnam and Tibet. Burnings get noticed!
Do these suicides further the cause? I doubt it, but they do bring attention to it.
Fireboots

Back