Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Europe freezes, Arctic thaws

Here in UK, we're getting the full blast of Putin's icy breath.
    Cold as hell here (by our standards) - -3C by day, icy wind, snow comes and goes but sometimes as heavy as I've known it, even thundersnow this morning. The gritters/snowploughs keep rumbling past, but in the heaviest blizzards they can't keep up even on the main roads. We call them 'gritters', but actually it's naturally-gritty rocksalt that they spray out from the back, with a snowplough on the front when needed.
    I gather it's bitter over most of Europe too.

Meanwhile, the seriously scary stuff - in the Arctic it's not bitter at all, it's thawing. The North Pole is above freezing, parts of the Arctic are 35C above normal for February, northern Greenland is at +6C, and Greenland has already had 61 hours above freezing this year which is over three times the previous record for a whole year. And it's February, still full winter with 24/7 darkness!
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...perature-rises
    If you're kissing Death make sure you've got a blue protruding tongue.

"John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
    On half a pint of shandy got particularly ill."

-20C in Bulgaria tonight there are no people outside we can hardly keep warm. I saw on the news about the UK cold and snow but also Italy badly affected too.

I think the world is headed for uncontrollable and rapid climate change.

Thanks for the post and the links.
    m/ ^_^ m/ "The goal of all life is death" - Sigmund Freud

I am already disturbed. alexonedeath's Avatar
    Though people everywhere are understandably frightened by the changes in climate, I believe that, in the end, all will turn out well enough. Scientists will figure out ways to put the world in order again. Except maybe for Miami Beach, which will probably be fucked no matter what.
    "God damn your god damned old Hellfired god damned soul to hell god damn you and goddam your god damned family's god damned hellfired god damned soul to hell and god damnation god damn them and god damn your god damn friends to hell god damn their god damned souls to damnation god damn them."
    .....Unattributed, from letter sent to President Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by alexonedeath View Post
    Though people everywhere are understandably frightened by the changes in climate, I believe that, in the end, all will turn out well enough. Scientists will figure out ways to put the world in order again. Except maybe for Miami Beach, which will probably be fucked no matter what.
    And Mar-a-Lago

Yes, deaddirty, when the creek rises, President Trump's Florida cottage will be swamped. I'll bet he's already making plans to move elsewhere. Have the Trumps been invited to Harry's wedding? Do you know? You'd better be nice to Donald or he will set up housekeeping in England, out of spite.
    "God damn your god damned old Hellfired god damned soul to hell god damn you and goddam your god damned family's god damned hellfired god damned soul to hell and god damnation god damn them and god damn your god damn friends to hell god damn their god damned souls to damnation god damn them."

This fucking snow at the streets really pisses me off. I haven't seen so much of that shit a before. And cold weather is not going to leave. Melting I think will last up to the end of April.

If it's abnormally bad even in Russia it really is bad! Bad news for us, our very worst winter weather normally comes from the east, from Siberia, rather from the north, the Arctic. That sounds odd, but there's just too much relatively-warm sea between us and Greenland or the Arctic Ocean - it may still be snowy, but not the intense all-day cold of the rare outbreaks direct from Siberia.
    We may get another outbreak from the east this weekend but I don't think it will be as cold - the weather map shows it coming from European Russia not Siberia, and it's just too late in the winter for the really intense cold - the days are too long and the sun too strong.

Latest models suggest a second major arctic outbreak over the UK early next week.

m/ ^_^ m/ "The goal of all life is death" - Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by alexonedeath View Post
    Yes, deaddirty, when the creek rises, President Trump's Florida cottage will be swamped. I'll bet he's already making plans to move elsewhere. Have the Trumps been invited to Harry's wedding? Do you know? You'd better be nice to Donald or he will set up housekeeping in England, out of spite.
    I don't think Harry will let the Trumps anywhere near the wedding - imagine the diplomatic incident if he groped the Queen at the reception and got beheaded on Tower Hill! It would solve a few problems though ....
    Of course he's got two golf resorts in Scotland, but guess what they're both beside the sea so they'll go under too. And if he sets up house in Scotland it will be us not the Scots who detonate the explosive bolts along the Border on Brexit day. But hey, that will at least reunite the Canadian Shield after only 65 million years - there's always a silver lining isn't there?

Quote Originally Posted by Meatpie View Post
    Latest models suggest a second major arctic outbreak over the UK early next week.

That doesn't look good. Bu looks like the most intense cold will be over the south, we may just miss it up here.

I hate cold, so I can sympathize with anyone in the path of Siberian winds. I try never to complain when temperatures are in the 90s, because I know how much worse it would be if temperatures were below freezing.

President Trump isn't letting this cold weather slow him down. He is about to straighten out the troublesome issues involving Kim Jong Un! As Donald said the other day, the problems with North Korea should have been dealt with long ago, but former administrations left the mess for him to clean up...and clean it up he will. You may look for worldwide peace and prosperity soon, thanks to Trumpism.

Last weekend's Siberian blast was a wimp compared to the 'Beast from the East', though another is forecast just in time for Easter.
    Meanwhile, the Gulf Stream/North Atlantic Drift is weakening and there are increasing fears that it may be about to switch off completely:

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...e-figures-show

Flooding and heavy rains rise 50% worldwide in a decade, figures show

Such extreme weather events are now happening four times more than in 1980, according to a European science paper

Global floods and extreme rainfall events have surged by more than 50% this decade, and are now occurring at a rate four times higher than in 1980, according to a new report.
    Other extreme climatological events such as storms, droughts and heatwaves have increased by more than a third this decade and are being recorded twice as frequently as in 1980, the paper by the European Academies’ Science Advisory Council (Easac) says.
    The paper, based partly on figures compiled by the German insurance company Munich Re, also shows that climate-related loss and damage events have risen by 92% since 2010.
    Prof Michael Norton, Easac’s environmental programme director, said that greenhouse gas emissions were “fundamentally responsible for driving these changes”.
    “Trends towards extremes are continuing,” he said. “People have experienced extreme weather already - big switches [between] warm and cold winters - but the frequency of these shifts may be changing.”
    “Some of the underlying drivers of extreme weather which were speculative four years ago are now looking less speculative and [more like] credible hypotheses. That is the weakening of the Gulf Stream and the meandering behaviour of the jet stream.”
    The Easac study, Extreme weather events in Europe: Preparing for climate change adaptation, looked at new data and models focused on a potential slowdown of the Atlantic Gulf Stream, due to an influx of freshwater from melted ice sheets in Greenland.
    It was compiled by experts from 27 national science academies in the EU, Norway and Switzerland, although the data was not peer-reviewed.
    The UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has assessed the probability of a slowdown before 2100 at more than 90% - or “very likely”. However, a complete “switch off of the gulf stream – or Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC) – is increasingly thought possible by some scientists.
    Some studies say this could lower land temperatures in the UK, Greenland, Iceland and Scandinavia by up to 9C.
    UK arrays positioned in the north Atlantic measured a 30% drop in AMOC strength between 2009-10, the Easac study says. And while uncertainties persist about the pace and scale of possible future changes, the decline in Gulf Stream strength itself has now been “confirmed”.
    Citing “gathering evidence of an emerging negative phase” in Atlantic temperature swings driven by a weakening Gulf Stream, the study calls for research to be stepped up.
    “With potentially substantial implications for the climate of north-west Europe, it is clearly desirable to quantify this risk further,” it says.

The last time the North Atlantic Drift (or AMOC as it is apparently now known to its friends) failed was around 12,900 years ago (though dates and durations do vary a bit between sources) causing the Younger Dryas cold period (also known as the Loch Lomond Readvance in Britain since it caused the reappearance of an icesheet in Western Scotland extending as far south as Loch Lomond, with local glaciers also re-forming on the mountains in the Lake District and Wales. The climate cooled from near current levels to full glacial in perhaps as short a period as 50 years then after maybe 1200 years it returned to temperate levels perhaps even more quickly (Columbia University below suggests as fast as 10C in 10 years!).

I can't find a single online source to reference for this (most of my knowledge comes from good old-fashioned books and articles over the years), but try
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younger_Dryas
    http://ocp.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/div...examples.shtml
    https://http://etheses.dur.ac.uk/121...ounger%20Dryas
    https://www.slideshare.net/aland/loch-lomond-readvance
    http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/915/1/clarkcd2.pdf

Thread Information