Shirtless boy strangled by python

Excellent looking dude but clearly not intelligent as he kept snakes that were dangerous to his life.

Dan was showing off. Thought he was so cool with his big scary snakes...but he wasn't cool. He was embarrassingly stupid. I have no sympathy. He's like that idiot, Timothy Treadwell, hanging out with his grizzly bear "friends". Until they ate him.

Actually it sounds as if he did know what he was doing:

"Prof John Cooper, a vet and snake keeper, said he had visited Brandon’s bedroom and examined Tiny. He said he had been impressed by the conditions Brandon kept his snakes in. “He was an experienced herpetologist who cared for his reptiles and would have had a good relationship with his animals. He did not have them for macho reasons.”
Cooper said Brandon would have known how to unwrap a python that had coiled around him, explaining that the trick was to start with the tail. He said it was uncommon for snakes in captivity to cause serious injuries but told the court that he himself had been struck in the eye by an African rock python. He said Tiny had struck out at him “defensively” as he put it back in its vivarium after examining the snake.
He said he did not believe Tiny had strangled Brandon, nor would it have wrapped itself around him for warmth – as is thought to have happened when a python killed two boys in Canada in 2013 – as it was a hot day.
The coroner said he did not believe the snake had been aggressive towards Brandon. He said: “The most likely scenario is that that Tiny was engaged with Dan. I have no doubt she was coiling around him. There was a point at which either she took hold of him unexpectedly or trips him up or there is some other mechanism. She then makes off maybe because of the shock of him falling or the shock of his reaction. I have to accept that Tiny is instrumental in Dan’s death.”

But something went wrong - maybe she got a coil round his arm suddenly so he couldn't unwrap her, or squeezed so tight and fast that he didn't have time before he passed out? Not something I'd go near myself but if you genuinely know what .you're doing it's probably no more dangerous than many sports and hobbies.

I still think Professor Cooper should not have been playing with these animals. As a scientist, he, of all people, should have known they are not pets. There was not point to his taking those selfies, with the snakes wrapped around him, other than to impress others.

It was Dan Brandon who took the selfies and then got squeezed - Professor Cooper was an expert witness in court.

Oops...reading comprehension is not my strong point, but it doesn't change my annoyance with this whole snake incident. Professor Cooper should have given Dan hell the day he visited Dan's bedroom vivarium and saw Dan having fun with snakes.

If You want to have safe pets i would suggest that You go for a rat or some other harmless small creature.

A animals that have bodily power enough can always harm You, "when things go wrong" and things do go wrong. Animals get frighten or are having panic like humans. Dogs are harmful and both injure and kill their masters. Here in Sweden there have been several cases the last years where dogs have killed their masters. there have also been cases where loose but not stray dogs have killed people here in Stockholm.

I do not think that bigger snakes are more dangerous than other big animals.

So let us return to the rats as pets, unless they have some contagious decease, they can not harm You. BUT remember they can still kill Your furniture. See link below!

(transl. Short presentation of Carin Götblad, Master of Police in Stockholm, then the man in beard, Intendent of Skansen Zoo in Stockholm, is presenting the Master of Police with a Blackrat as in gratitude for the Master of Police's work for giving the Stockholm Police force better routines for taking care of animals. The master of Police says that her husband will not let her bring the rt home, because their last rat, catched wild from a sewer in Stockholm!!! did ate the familys new sofa. The Master of Police thought that perhaps her grand daughter could take the rat instead.)

Oops...reading comprehension is not my strong point, but it doesn't change my annoyance with this whole snake incident. Professor Cooper should have given Dan hell the day he visited Dan's bedroom vivarium and saw Dan having fun with snakes.

I think Dan was already in hell (though hopefully somewhere better even if only a mortuary slab) when Prof Cooper visited his flat.

I think Dan was already in hell (though hopefully somewhere better even if only a mortuary slab) when Prof Cooper visited his flat.

It has become evident that there is something about this thread which has taxed my reading skills to their capacity...and beyond. It wasn't clear to me that Dan was already dead when the professor visited his bedroom. In fact, I thought perhaps the two of them were committing rude and unspeakable acts together. Perhaps Dan seduced the Professor by saying, "Would you like to come up to room to see my snakes?" Both being snake lovers, they already had so much in common. It's more likely I've just had a few ischemic attacks here, and was hallucinating.

I am confused. It seemed to me from what I could read into the posts the Professor had visited Dan prior to the day on which this happened. Otherwise how could he tell Dan was experienced and knew how to stop the snake from wrapping itself around him?

Djbear, I hope deaddirty will come to our rescue. He has been helping me with clarifications on this thread for days.

My reading of it is that Prof Cooper was an expert who visited after Dan was found dead, called in by the police or coroner.
In fact I've just checked and confirmed that - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-42801983- Dan died in August and Prof Cooper visited in November.

Deaddirty, you are the go-to guy for all matters pertaining to the suspicious deaths of snake handlers, especially where gay professors of ophiology are involved.

Last edited:
Well Alex, you are the first person ever to accuse me of being an expert on gay professors of ophiology!

Every so often there is a well-deserved snakebite death among the Holy Roller viper handlers. Those people should be ashamed of themselves for acting so silly in public. Try this: whenever the word "God" appears in speech or writing (e.g. In God We Trust), replace it with "Thor" -- you get a fresh and immediate sense of how ridiculous all the religious bullshit is. Yes, deaddirty, SAINTS PRESERVE US!

Or even:
"SNAKES PRESERVE US! "

Back