On my way to medical school!

taynbowen

Forum Regular
So, I hope this is the right section for this, but, I wanted to talk about it here because I am just super, super excited and I think the rest of you may be interested in hearing this as well! I'm starting college in January and I'm on my way to medical school so that I can be a forensic pathologist! I''m going to have a biology degree with a focus in pre-med. I guess I'm just so excited about it because I feel like I've finally found my calling. I was thinking of going to mortuary school, but, I feel like I'm more interested in forensics and finding out how people died. I'm super excited to take this path in my life and I really hope I can share this exciting, incredible journey with you! It's going to be a long, difficult one, but, it's going to be so worth it! :happy stud:

You have no idea how much I envy you. I think it must be such a wonderful experience when you have found your calling and knw what you want to do with your life. I studies psychology in college but I never felt like it was a calling. I studied psychology because I thought it was interesting, not because I was passionate about it. I kind of floated my way through college because I didn't feel passionate about what I was doing. I was always so envious of my best friend who was studying architecture at Yale. The poor guy was always snowed under with work and constantly anxious because of crits. What propelled him forward was his passion for architecture even when at times he faltered a little.

Anyway, congratulations, I really hope you do well in college and medical school.

Congratulations great career choice how old are you?

You have no idea how much I envy you. I think it must be such a wonderful experience when you have found your calling and knw what you want to do with your life. I studies psychology in college but I never felt like it was a calling. I studied psychology because I thought it was interesting, not because I was passionate about it. I kind of floated my way through college because I didn't feel passionate about what I was doing. I was always so envious of my best friend who was studying architecture at Yale. The poor guy was always snowed under with work and constantly anxious because of crits. What propelled him forward was his passion for architecture even when at times he faltered a little.

Anyway, congratulations, I really hope you do well in college and medical school.

Honestly, it's a really great feeling. I've been so depressed and so bored for so long, trying to find what made me happy and what I wanted to fill my time with. I've always been interested in the human body and a recent suicide in my family led me to be interested more in the process of death as a way to cope. Her suicide is still very heavy on my soul, so, it's very nice to find a calling that will sort of help me through the grief process, you know? I suppose that's a a strange way of looking at it, but, it's honestly worked for me. Haha.

It's never too late to go back to school. I took a year off after high school to work and then I went to college for a semester and then took some more time off. I had my daughter and just recently got accepted for my second semester, haha. College is always available!

Thank you so much for your well wishes!

A lot of people decide to study medicine later in life it takes a lot of effort and passion and years of intense study. Have you ever been to a morgue? Tell us more about suicide case in your family.

Honestly, it's a really great feeling. I've been so depressed and so bored for so long, trying to find what made me happy and what I wanted to fill my time with. I've always been interested in the human body and a recent suicide in my family led me to be interested more in the process of death as a way to cope. Her suicide is still very heavy on my soul, so, it's very nice to find a calling that will sort of help me through the grief process, you know? I suppose that's a a strange way of looking at it, but, it's honestly worked for me. Haha.

It's never too late to go back to school. I took a year off after high school to work and then I went to college for a semester and then took some more time off. I had my daughter and just recently got accepted for my second semester, haha. College is always available!

Thank you so much for your well wishes!

It is not strange at all. People grieve in very particular ways. If fulfilling your calling gives your some solace during your grief process then embrace it with every fiber of your being.

In the words of Macbeth "what is done cannot be undone". We however have the ability to start over.

Very good for you. Being a former Funeral Director, let me just say one thing. When you do an autopsy. Remember to leave the Aortic Arch. You can take the heart, just leave the arch. It makes embalming a lot easier. Thanks.

A lot of people decide to study medicine later in life it takes a lot of effort and passion and years of intense study. Have you ever been to a morgue? Tell us more about suicide case in your family.

I've never been to a morgue, but, I have been to a few funerals in my life, the suicide case in my family included. She was a teenage girl and she hung herself unexpectedly. I wasn't very close to her, but, I wanted to be. I guess I felt I always had time to get to know her. I suppose it's a sort of guilt for not trying to get closer to her when I wanted to. Being around the dead, I think, will help me with the grieving process. I'm actually wondering if even being a funeral director may be even better to help me grieve. I guess I'm still trying to decide, haha. At least I have the time to figure things out!

It is not strange at all. People grieve in very particular ways. If fulfilling your calling gives your some solace during your grief process then embrace it with every fiber of your being.

In the words of Macbeth "what is done cannot be undone". We however have the ability to start over.

Very, very true!

Very good for you. Being a former Funeral Director, let me just say one thing. When you do an autopsy. Remember to leave the Aortic Arch. You can take the heart, just leave the arch. It makes embalming a lot easier. Thanks.

A former funeral director, huh? What was that experience for you like? What kind of schooling for funeral directing do you have? Which school did you go to? I only ask that because I am interested in funeral directing as well, it's just been harder to find a school where I can study mortuary science and be where I want to be. I guess that's another reason why I'm leaning more towards being a forensic pathologist. Schooling for that is much easier to find where I want to be!

I'm leaning more towards being a forensic pathologist. Schooling for that is much easier to find where I want to be!

There is a lack of forensic pathologists in the USA and many coutnries in Europe so any fresh blood there is welcome. Also I think you will be much happier working in a morgue rather that funeral home.

Have you considered training for autopsy technican? I started when I was younger than you are now just 19.

There is a lack of forensic pathologists in the USA and many coutnries in Europe so any fresh blood there is welcome. Also I think you will be much happier working in a morgue rather that funeral home.

Have you considered training for autopsy technican? I started when I was younger than you are now just 19.

I have! However, I think it's very different in Bulgaria than it is for the US. In order to be an autopsy technician, you have to have gotten all the degrees that you need to get, unfortunately. I am very impatient to start my career, though. I may do some work in a funeral home on the side if I can get one to hire me on without experience. I don't necessarily have to work with the dead bodies. I would be okay answering phones and seeing customers. Just to be in the same building would be enough for me until I can finally do an autopsy, does that make sense? I have so many different options!

You have your whole life ahead of you. Autopsy techs get a lot of time with the corpses and do a lot of body handling including cutting the head during the autopsy procedure which for me is the hottest part. Stitching up the corpses is also cool and I enjoy it a lot.

Back