Lighning strikes

deaddirty

Forum Elite
Apparently 9 out of 10 people struck by lightning survive - and if you are ever near someone when they are struck, and are capable of helping, it is ALWAYS worth giving CPR and continuing until professional help arrives.
Though Jaime Santana clearly did not enjoy his near-death experience:

Full article far too long to paste in, here is the link:
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/jul/13/what-its-like-to-be-struck-by-lightning

“You’re more likely to be struck by lightning than killed by a police officer...”, said Sgt. Chris Williams of the Oxnard, CA Police Dept. a couple years ago. I don't know about that. It might depend on what color you are.

Speaking of coming upon a victim of a lightning strike, I thought I heard that the body might still be full of electricity and would hurt you if you touched it. Is that only the case when there is a live wire touching the victim? Can victims of lightning strikes become like batteries, full of electrical energy?

No, once the lightning strike is past ( a fraction of a second) there is no electricity in the body though it might be still hot. Live wires etc are a different matter - if they are still touching the victim and haven't shorted out yiu cold indeed get a dangerous shock from the victim.

When I was a kid, our refrigerator would deliver a shock if one touched it and the metal counter next to it at the same time (which happened frequently). Even such a small shock as that was the most UNPLEASANT feeling, unlike any other pain. It quickly taught me to fear the Frigidaire.

There was one job I had, the boss's office was known as 'the fridge'. 'Nuff said about the working atmosphere?

There Are More Ways to Die
than Lightning and Police

"Since the beginning of the twentieth century, according to the Mountain Lion Foundation, there have been fewer than thirty fatal attacks in North America; it is an often cited fact that vending machines kill more people than mountain lions do."
Dana Goodyear, Valley Cats

Back