60 perfectly preserved ancient shipwrecks found in the Black Sea

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
eMDqJPQ.jpg

Dozens of perfectly preserved ancient shipwrecks have been found at the bottom of the Black Sea.

A total of 60 wrecks were discovered dating back as far as 2,500 years, including galleys from the Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman empires.

Scientists stumbled upon the graveyard while using underwater robots to survey the effects of climate change along the Bulgarian coast.

Because the Black Sea contains almost no light or oxygen, little life can survive, meaning the wrecks are in excellent condition.

Researchers say their discovery is 'truly unrivalled'. Many of the ships have features that are only known from drawings or written description but never seen until now.

Carvings in the wood of some ships have remained intact for centuries, while well-preserved rope was found aboard one 2,000-year-old Roman vessel.

2MrGPlN.jpg

The project, known Black Sea Maritime Archaeology Project (Black Sea MAP), involves an international team led by the University of Southampton's Centre for Maritime Archaeology.

Ed Parker, CEO of Black Sea MAP, said: 'Some of the ships we discovered had only been seen on murals and mosaics until this moment.
'There's one medieval trading vessel where the towers on the bow and stern are pretty much still there.

'It's as if you are looking at a ship in a movie, with ropes still on the deck and carvings in the wood.

'When I saw that ship, the excitement really started to mount – what we have found is truly unrivalled.'
Most of the vessels found are around 1,300 years old, but the oldest dates back to the 4th Century BC.

Many of the wrecks' details and locations are being kept secret by the team to ensure they remain undisturbed.

Black Sea water below 150 metres (490 ft) is anoxic, meaning the environment cannot support the organisms that typically feast on organic materials, such as wood and flesh.

There must be a multitude of skeletons on and about these ships. If scientists today are still discovering ancient wonders like these, who knows what else is waiting to be found all around the world.

That's an incredible find - must be more than all the well-preserved timber shipwrecks previously found (Mary Rose, Vasa, Roskilde ships ... ). I was going to say 'must also include the oldest', but the Dover boat from c 1500 BC was probably seagoing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dover_Bronze_Age_Boat
The Ferriby boats (earliest c 2000 BC) have also been claimed as seagoing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferriby_Boats
but personally I'm not convinced - there's plenty of scope for estuary and river boat transport round Ferriby and it's an awful long way across the North Sea, whereas at Dover the estuary was tiny (it doesn't even exist now) and it's hard to see the point of any boat that wasn't for cross-Channel use.

I would have made a piss-poor Viking or Hun or whoever the boat people were. I'm afraid of sharks, and I'm not going anywhere by water.

Last edited:
Back