USA Federal Minium Wage bickering:

jbarn25

Forum Resident
Guys, I hope this does not turn into a thread of bickering. First off I am bringing this up since it is Thanksgiving/Christmas time.
I do not know if you guys have overseas have seen this, but here in the USA there have been fast food workers demanding $15 and hour miniumn wage. I feel that that is a laughable joke, yes I think the wage needs to be raised to at least $8.25-$8.50 starting wage. For managers like Store managers or Assident ones the wage would reasonable be $10-$20 and hour based on experience and training.

I am wondering, Does the UK/London have a minium wage? Also how are wages set in other countries where their is free medical care, is it factored into the wages, ect. I do not want this thread to move into the sewage section of the board. I just want to see how other countries base their employee starting wages.

PS: If MeatPie is uncomfortable with this thread, he may delete it at anytime.

In the Netherlands, the minimum wage per hour is presently:
€ 3,38 for 16-year olds, rising linearly to € 9,78 for 23-year olds and older (36-hour working week).

In the United Kingdom we have a statutory minimum wage which is currently about £6.80 per hour. This is to increase over th rat of inflation over the next few years until it reaches over £8.00 (inflation linked). The government tops this up,with tax credits and we have the blessed free NHS in addition.
It is a criminal offence to pay less than the national minimum wage

My suggestion - $20 per hour minimum wage, to include mandatory entry into an 'Employee of the Month' lottery. Each month, the winner is butchered and served as fast food. Most of the workers get to live with a little dignity on a tolerable wage; the fast food chain cuts it's meat costs; there could be an increase in recruitment from those that rather want to be eaten; and, lastly, the burgers will be much improved by the use of quality meat, leading to an increase in sales. Win-win all round!

Marky

What a great idea. An additional incentive to work hard.
But I guess this will have to be limited to larger firms, maybe there can also be a geographical grouping so employees of smaller firms don't miss out. And also a special,lottery for benefit recipients, the chance of being eaten should not just be limited to workers.
Maybe the lucky winners can be given a choice of execution, nude hanging or beheading should enhance the meet quality although there needs to be an alternative for those who might not approve of the concept.
We really need to get you into Parliament. Your first private members bill should engender an interesting debate

In the United Kingdom we have a statutory minimum wage which is currently about £6.80 per hour. This is to increase over th rat of inflation over the next few years until it reaches over £8.00 (inflation linked). The government tops this up,with tax credits and we have the blessed free NHS in addition.
It is a criminal offence to pay less than the national minimum wage

Thank You, Lindier, that actually explains what I was asking.

In the Netherlands, the minimum wage per hour is presently:
€ 3,38 for 16-year olds, rising linearly to € 9,78 for 23-year olds and older (36-hour working week).

Now does the Netherlands, have free medical care like the UK, or is it the employers/employee responsible for their own medical care?

I hope other members on this board will chime in and leave their feedback.

This one is directed at MeatPie, How are wages and medical care handled in Bulgaria?, Is it free medical care or is it the employers/employees responability?

My suggestion - $20 per hour minimum wage, to include mandatory entry into an 'Employee of the Month' lottery. Each month, the winner is butchered and served as fast food. Most of the workers get to live with a little dignity on a tolerable wage; the fast food chain cuts it's meat costs; there could be an increase in recruitment from those that rather want to be eaten; and, lastly, the burgers will be much improved by the use of quality meat, leading to an increase in sales. Win-win all round!

Now is that 20 sterling pounds per hour or is it $20 us dollars per hour?, I thought since your in the UK, it would be 20 sterling pounds per hour?

Although in Britain w still retain the Great British Pound we are something of an exception in Europe where most counties now use the euro (€). The current rate of exchange is about 1GBP (£) is worth 1.40 €. Marky is therefore suggesting an hourly rate of about £14.00, twice the current rate.
In U.K. We have to pay national insurance whilst working. This pays for our state pension contributions and the national health service which is free at the point of use. The current state pension for someone with a full national insurance record is about £115 per week although changes come into force next year which are pretty complicated. I theory no one will be worse off. To,get a full pension one will need to have 35 years contribution although credit is given for time unemployed and claiming benefits or bringing up children under 12. Husbands and wives are each entitled to,separate pensions. For pensioners on a low income their pensions are increased by pensioner credit, an additional benefit.
The old age pension was first brought in by Lloyd George in 1911 at the princely sum of 5 shillings per week. The National Health Service by Nye Bevan in 1948.

Last edited:
:hahahahha: Maybe not but may I ask why you consider 22 November Christmas time?

It is when all hell breaks loose in the retail sector, the day after ThanksGiving in the USA which this year Friday November 27, is what they call black friday, it is when every nut in the country wakes up at 4am to go do their christmas shopping.

Yes, I get your joke, MeatPie, nice try.

Last edited:
This one is directed at MeatPie, How are wages and medical care handled in Bulgaria?, Is it free medical care or is it the employers/employees responability?

Your employer covers health insurance which is paid on a monthly basis. If you lose your job you have to pay the insurance yourself.

Half the working population here doesn't have heatlh insurance.

Pensioners and kids get free medical care.

Your employer covers health insurance which is paid on a monthly basis. If you lose your job you have to pay the insurance yourself.

Half the working population here doesn't have heatlh insurance.

Pensioners and kids get free medical care.

ThankYou, The bulgarian system sounds similar to the US system, Why is it that 50% of bulgarians do not have health insurance is it because they cannot afford it or their employer refuses to provide them with it?, What is the adverage pay rate in bulgaria?, Does bulgaria have a federal minium wage like other countries or not?

Guys, I appreciate everyones feedback, it is very interesting how some countries cover medical insurance for everyone and some do not, this is very interesting, please continue to provide your feedback on this issue. Does anyone on this board beside linider in the UK, work in the medical community from an insurance standpoint?

Just to put the record straight although I volunteer in the advice system and have to deal with benefit and healthcare advice it would be wrong to say that I have specific contact with or knowledge of the medical or insurance community. So please don't anyone think that I have professional knowledge in this field other than that needed to advice and try and sort our issues for specific clients. And as someone once said about lawyers it's not having the knowledge which counts, it's knowing where to find it

I like the idea of a lower minimum wage for youngsters at age 16 rising until age 23 (Netherlands) or 21. As an economics prof. I can say there are two sides to the issue of minimum wage - it leads mostly to layoffs of younger people, not primary wage earners so the rising minimum makes soem sense.

Why is it that 50% of bulgarians do not have health insurance

Unemployment is massive here especially among young people. Nearly two million left the country to settle in Britain, France and Germnay, more on the way. Many went to Spain but now returned because of 20% unemployment there as well.

And unfortunately those who would see the u.k leave the European community are using this immigration in their propaganda. Which is sad. We benefit from the skill these immigrants bring and should encourage rather than discourage them. There could be arguments made about benefits perhaps but not about an inflow of motivated workers.
And I can think of one Bulgarian who should be very welcome, mind you the homophobic right might have kittens when you came over

Back