Obama declares state of emergency in South Carolina over floods

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
LvV45tG.jpg

[SUP]Brothers Logan Froehler, 17, at left, and Lukas, 11, throw a football while kayaking in their backyard on the Isle of Palms, South Carolina.

[/SUP]
While spared the full fury of Hurricane Joaquin, parts of the US east coast still saw record-setting rain on Saturday that shut down roads, waterlogged crops and showed little sign of letting up.

Much of the drenching was centered on the Carolinas, but coastal communities as far away as New Jersey were feeling the effects of unrelenting rainfall. Rain and flood warnings remained in effect for many parts of the east coast through Sunday.

President Barack Obama declared a state of emergency in South Carolina and ordered federal aid to help state and local efforts.
Downtown Charleston was closed to incoming traffic as rain flooded roads and left some motorists stranded as flood waters engulfed their cars. At least two bridges were washed out in other parts of the state.

“Where we normally are dealing with flooding for a few hours, we’re dealing with it in days here,” Charleston Police Chief Greg Mullen said. “We’re seeing areas flood today that did not traditionally flood.”

Several shelters were opened in coastal counties while health officials warned people not to swim or play in the flood waters. Inland areas of South Carolina also were battered by rain. In Columbia, which is in the middle of the state, business owners spent Saturday caulking and duct-taping windows and readying sandbags.

The Greenville-Spartanburg Airport in South Carolina recorded 2.3in of rain Saturday, smashing the previous record of 0.77in set in 1961, according to John Tomko, National Weather Service (NWS) meteorologist at Greenville-Spartanburg.

“This one is extraordinary in that it’s such a prolonged event,” he said.

This story is very true, it has been flooding where I live, but couldn't they have used a better pic. Two fat boys in to kayaks is too ugly, maybe if they had a better pic. This article will be better.

Yeah, Meatpie - why didn't YOU with all YOUR personal worldwide news connections provide a more 'on the scene' photo to post with your bad news !
Too bad we couldn't have found someone who's obviously very egotistical who LIVES RIGHT THERE to post THEIR OWN FAR BETTER PIC , maybe with cute hunky guys instead of ugly ones!

See?.......I guess a picture IS worth a thousand words!:hahahahha::happy banana::winner::rude_doggy:

Last edited:
It's at times like this I'm glad I live in Britain. Last night w had really heavy rain and tragedy of tragedies a football match had to be cancelled because of a torrential downpour which waterlogged the pitch. But nothing like you guys suffer. W may get the fag end of Joaquín, the forecasters aren't too certain, but it will probably miss us and, at worst, it is suppose to give us some wrong wind with gusts of 40 m.p.h.
Hope things sort themselves out quickly for you

All of Europe will get bad weather from Hurricane Joaquin leftovers.

XozwCux.jpg

Yeah, Meatpie - why didn't YOU with all YOUR personal worldwide news connections provide a more 'on the scene' photo to post with your bad news !
Too bad we couldn't have found someone who's obviously very egotistical who LIVES RIGHT THERE to post THEIR OWN FAR BETTER PIC , maybe with cute hunky guys instead of ugly ones!

See?.......I guess a picture IS worth a thousand words!:hahahahha::happy banana::winner::rude_doggy:

Yes, I know I get the smart ass remark from you guys. It is just very embarasing two fat boys in kayaks. I was no where near the flooding downtown. Our neighborhood had very little flooding on the roads from very low spots. The worst flooding was in north charleston and downtown charleston. That picture was taken someplace in the country not near me.

Back