THIS is sooooo
going to KNOCK your SOCKS right off !!!
Yous just gotta see it and hear it !!

J. S.
you
did it
again

:excellent::excellent::excellent::excellent::excellent:

1734 is such a long time ago, and nobody composes music like this any more. Also, I think we can safely assume that Johann, unlike the tragic Pyotr, was NOT gay, as he had 20 children!

Indeed, yes, Alex !

J S was quite productive in many stellar musical and non-musical ways!
:Merry Xmas::Merry Xmas::Merry Xmas:

Last edited:
Thank you, ArrowMan, for presenting us with something GOOD about Winter! I would much rather HEAR it than FEEL it.

By the way, I just read the following (and thought of you and your Musical Corner):

"Benny Goodman died of a heart attack while practicing Mozart...." David Markson

Who knows, he might have lived a good deal longer if only he'd been practicing Vivaldi.

Overture to

"Tannhäuser"

Richard Wagner
composed in 1845 AD

One of the most
absolutely stunning masterworks
in ALL of the vast orchestral repertoire

As performed by
the world renown
~~ Chicago Symphony Orchestra ~~
Sir Georg Solti
Conductor

Fasten down
and
be prepared to
SOAR
to the highest mountains of all

Of all the Solti performances
I personally heard
first-hand
at Orchestra Hall
in Chicago, Illinois
while he was the
Conductor of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra,
this is one of his FINEST

Last edited:
ArrowMan, you have adorned this introduction to Wagner and his Tannhauser with such attractive script in beautiful shades of blue on black. It is a fitting tribute to a genius and his masterpiece.

ArrowMan, you have adorned this introduction to Wagner and his Tannhauser with such attractive script in beautiful shades of blue on black. It is a fitting tribute to a genius and his masterpiece.

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Music the Great Bard

~~~ William Shakespeare ~~
actually heard
circa 1564 - 1616 AD

The two British monarchs who reigned during
Shakespeare's lifetime
were Elizabeth I and James 1

Hence, much of the music of Shakespeare's time
is termed
ELIZABETHAN
as is the elegant work
by
William Byrd
who is one of the most celebrated composers
of the English Renaissance

Whose composition can be heard on the above
most splendid harpsichord recording

Last edited:
I remember a high school teacher telling us that Shakespeare's works were not meant to be read; they were plays, meant to be watched. I've often wondered if that teacher was slightly full of shit. Everybody reads Shakespeare, but maybe that's because nobody wants to wait until the play comes to town. Anyway, I like the harpsichord, which is meant to be HEARD.

Also, while we are on the subject of Shakespeare, what answer do YOU give to the question that's been batted around for centuries: Who REALLY wrote Shakespeare's plays? I think that is a puzzle almost as compelling as finding the true identity of "Jack the Ripper".

I remember a high school teacher telling us that Shakespeare's works were not meant to be read; they were plays, meant to be watched. I've often wondered if that teacher was slightly full of shit. Everybody reads Shakespeare, but maybe that's because nobody wants to wait until the play comes to town. Anyway, I like the harpsichord, which is meant to be HEARD.

Also, while we are on the subject of Shakespeare, what answer do YOU give to the question that's been batted around for centuries: Who REALLY wrote Shakespeare's plays? I think that is a puzzle almost as compelling as finding the true identity of "Jack the Ripper".
My good AlexOne,

You say you had a high school teacher who said that Shakespeare's works are not to be read as they are plays, meant to be watched ... and for this, you thought your high school teacher may
"slightly full of shit."

Hence, I beseech you, my good AlexOne, to try this out:

Read this prose from Shakespeare's RICHARD III,
Act One, Scene One, as presented by Richard, the Duke of Gloucester:

"Now is the winter of our discontent

Made glorious summer by this son of York;
And all the clouds that low’r’d upon our house

In the deep bosom of the ocean buried.
Now are our brows bound with victorious wreaths,

Our bruised arms hung up for monuments,
Our stern alarums chang’d to merry meetings,
Our dreadful marches to delightful measures.
Grim-visag’d War hath smooth’d his wrinkled front;
And now, in stead of mounting barbed steeds
To fright the souls of fearful adversaries,
He capers nimbly in a lady’s chamber
To the lascivious pleasing of a lute.
But I, that am not shap’d for sportive tricks,
Nor made to court an amorous looking-glass;
I, that am rudely stamp’d, and want love’s majesty
To strut before a wanton ambling nymph;
I, that am curtail’d of this fair proportion,
Cheated of feature by dissembling nature,
Deform’d, unfinish’d, sent before my time
Into this breathing world, scarce half made up,
And that so lamely and unfashionable
That dogs bark at me as I halt by them—
Why, I, in this weak piping time of peace,
Have no delight to pass away the time,
Unless to see my shadow in the sun
And descant on mine own deformity.

And therefore, since I cannot prove a lover
To entertain these fair well-spoken days,
I am determined to prove a villain ....."

Now, AlexOne, listen to these same words ACTED out:

[video=youtube;K9wzWYtYGBI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=K9wzWYtYGBI[/video]

Now you tell me, my good AlexOne:

Which is the most powerful, the words READ or the words ACTED out IN the very play itself ?

As for the debate who actually wrote Shakespeare, I will share my thoughts on that here soon and also whether or not Shakespeare was GAY.

See also this link, for my comments about our new budding very own CDG Shakespeare, such a great feat:

https://cutedeadguys.net/threads/58182-Rick-s-Poetry-Corner-Focus-on-Male-Feet/page4

Last edited:

Which is the most powerful, the words READ or the words ACTED out IN the very play itself ?

You're right, ArrowMan -- no contest! In the '60s, there wasn't an easy way to make such a powerful comparison, but I have no excuse for not having seen the light since. I owe you thanks for pointing it out...and my teacher an apology. :\

I love singing too!! I like divas form any country...

Happy
242nd Birthday

America!
YES,
it has now been
242 years
that the United States of America

declared INDEPENDENCE
from a tyrannical British King
and became a nation
on

July 4, 1776

GOD BLESS
America

Sung by the
one and only
Kate Smith
on the eve
of
World War Two
in 1938

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1rKQReqJZg
this rendition will KNOCK your SOCKS right off !
Composed by the legendary IRVING BERLIN in 1918

~~ Happy
July 4th ~~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-7XWhyvIpE

This is such a colorful birthday greeting, ArrowMan, and you've provided the perfect music to accompany it! Kate Smith was a powerhouse singer and larger than life (Kelly Clarkson is following in her footsteps). I do enjoy hearing military music on patriotic holidays. So, thank you for putting together this celebratory post.

I think one of the problems we have with Shakespeare is that we are compelled to study him at school and the teaching is often done by teachers with no real interest in the subject. Thus we fail to relate to him and his works. When we study him at a more advanced level then we often begin to appreciate him a little more.
Some years ago I spent a lot of time near Stratford and was privileged to be able to attend productions at the royal Shakespeare company. And watching many of the plays performed on stage helped me to appreciate what a great playwright he was.
And that of course is what we often forget, shakespeare wrote for performance, not for study. Indeed I remember a story, i think by Asimov, when Shakespeare was brought back and enrolled in an English literature class. The poor guy failed��
Incidentally the same comments could equally made about mozart and other great composers. Music is meant to be enjoyed and listened to and those modernists whose music looks great on paper but horrid in the ear bring nothing of value to the party.

I think one of the problems we have with Shakespeare is that we are compelled to study him at school and the teaching is often done by teachers with no real interest in the subject. Thus we fail to relate to him and his works.

RIGHT -- too many teachers hate their job, or, at best, are indifferent to it. Also, if they've been teaching for years, they end up hating their students as well. It all adds up to a piss-poor school experience for everyone. Real learning takes place only when it is actively sought by the student, and that does not even require a school or a teacher.

Arrowman, did you ever listen to John Adams' memorial work for 9/11, "On the Tramsmigration of Souls"? I have a CD of it being performed by the New York Philharmonic, but I regret I don't have an online link to it handy. It's a breathtaking piece.

Back