Dental Amalgams

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
I have five dental amalgams. They were done when I was a teen.

Dental amalgams contain mercury which is toxic and accumulates in vital organs - kidneys, brain etc.

Everytime you brush your teeth and eat small amounts of mercury are released into the mouth.

Do you guys have amalgams?

Some people decide to have them all removed.

I had all mine removed, maybe ten years ago. I'm not sure if it's made much difference, but I'm glad not to have that mercury kicking around inside me - and since having it done I've hardly needed any fillings, whereas I used to need more quite often.

Why did you decide to do it?

Did you have many?

Very controversial in the U.S., even though the FDA (U.S. Government) says it's totally safe and you would never get high enough levels of mercury vapor exposure to cause any adverse effects in the brain and the kidneys. However, there has been other studies that show otherwise... who to believe... I think if you can afford the composite fillings go with them, why take the chance. Plus they will match your teeth.

As far as removing them, if your fillings are in good condition and there is no decay beneath the filling, it is not recommend that you have your amalgam fillings removed or replaced. Removing sound amalgam fillings results in unnecessary loss of healthy tooth structure, and exposes you to additional mercury vapor released during the removal process.

I had a lot - I'd let my teeth go badly when I was a kid.
Because I wondered if it was affecting my health - I was getting a lot of mood swings, and signs of nerve damage (I now know that the nerve damage is down to a physical problem, though maybe the mercury wasn't helping)

Good you have decided to have them all removed.

Was the procedure painful?

bleuarctique, I want to have them all removed. But I have two on my wisdow teeth and my dentist said instruments for the white ones can't reach there.

If I remove them, I want them all gone.

They are five.

Do you have amalgams?

No, very little pain - she was a very good dentist

What is a crest kid?

I can't believe you are 29 and you haven't had a single caries.

Maybe you haven't been to a dentist lately?

LoL

Half and half, in the UK dentists are no longer allowed to use mercury, I will be keeping the old ones as they last longer and don't fall out, and yes I do have a few teeth missing, thats what you get for playing rugby and fighting too much.

I think I will keep them too because drilling will produce mercury vapour which ones inhaled goes directly into the blood and from there accumulates in all vital organs.

I wish I never had these but I only became aware of this problem a few years ago, too late.

Back