Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember reading something about the HUGE number of unidentified bodies that are on the books in the U.S. It must be the same all over the world. Just thousands and thousands of people nobody misses and nobody cares about, people who had not a soul in the world for whom their passing made any difference. It IS sad.

I remember reading something about the HUGE number of unidentified bodies that are on the books in the U.S. It must be the same all over the world. Just thousands and thousands of people nobody misses and nobody cares about, people who had not a soul in the world for whom their passing made any difference. It IS sad.

My suspicion is that many are a long time dead and the parents or loved one has moved on and until a cold investigation happens again, the relatives will not know. Recently a couple of corpses from the 1980s have been identified in Canada - solving crimes that were cold cases. For the relatives it is often a relief.

I hadn't even thought of it that way, but now I see. These bodies aren't being claimed, but it's not necessarily because they aren't wanted. It could very well be because the authorities, not knowing the identities of the corpses, can't inform the kin that they have them. However, couldn't the police post photographs of the dead faces on some Internet site dedicated to that purpose, so folks who don't know where their loved ones are can look to see if they are among the nameless dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back