dead cavalry trooper

jaxretnav

Forum Newcomer
I've noticed some fantasy photos here involving cavalry troopers having been dispatched by warpath Native Americans...in this case, an actual photo of the result of a trooper killed then mutilated by them...snatched from the book Bugles, Banners, and War Bonnets by Ernest Reedstrom. He was shot with arrows, brained, scalped, his heart cut out (probably to be eaten) and his leg muscles were slashed. He also had his throat cut and his scrotum appears to be slashed or poked.

Attachments

• trooper.jpg
    trooper.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 370
That is a superb contribution, jaxretnav! I never saw anything like it.

Love the arrows still stuck in his body. Caption says he was scalped twice. I wonder what that means.

when scalped, the entire scalp isn't taken, just a patch about 2"- 4" across. Usually the victim was still alive when scalped, and a fair number of these actually survived.

when scalped, the entire scalp isn't taken, just a patch about 2"- 4" across. Usually the victim was still alive when scalped, and a fair number of these actually survived.

I had no idea! So, a number of Indians could scalp one individual, if there weren't enough victims to go around.

I've read though that once the Indians captured you, it was highly unlikely you'd live to tell the tale. They were not known for their acts of mercy in warfare.

Thanks, didn't know that. Apparently no restraint on the rest of the body though.

Thanks jaxretnav - I had a closer look at this one. I did some repair work on the 'blemishes' and overlaid it with some 'antique gold' gradient maps to reduce the 'bleached' areas. Here is the result posted for the interest of our CDG Members - if you look closely at this guys balls - he has 2 puncture wounds in them :dunno:

thanks again for a very interesting post :yes:

Thanks jaxretnav - I had a closer look at this one. I did some repair work on the 'blemishes' and overlaid it with some 'antique gold' gradient maps to reduce the 'bleached' areas. Here is the result posted for the interest of our CDG Members - if you look closely at this guys balls - he has 2 puncture wounds in them :dunno:
N
thanks again for a very interesting post :yes:

Nice improvement Jon.
Thanks.

Back