Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
I hate movies like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.

Tried to watch them but failed.

I like dark, realistic movies like Taxi Driver which is among one of my favourites.

Any time you watch it you can find something new.

I like scary movies. One of my favorite is The Blair Witch Project. For some reason it really creeped me out.

I like horror movies best. I can't think of my favorite, maybe Pumpkinhead. I found it very poetic and the monster plays with the hottest dead guy a little.

Cloud Atlas was the last movie I gave out a 10/10 as it I found it very beautifully poetic and describes the the spiritual teachings of cause/effect perfectly and how someone can influence and shape someones life like a ripple spreading out from the center of the pond and how this ripple affect is interrelated and spread across throughout time

eg, someone stumbles on a random piece of music created hundreds of years earlier and influences them to write a peice of music which changes the music scene completly.

I hate movies like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. Tried to watch them but failed. I like dark, realistic movies like Taxi Driver which is among of my favourites.

Same here! Although for mindless relaxation I also like a good one-man-army-takes-out-every-crook action flic (Arnold, Sylvester, Bruce, ...).

For a guy on here, I am not into horror movies with explosions and guns. I am much more into a good realistic movie - found Blue Jasmine a great movie.

tourist trap, trilogy of terror, bad Ronald, the little girl who lived down the lane, lets scare Jessica to death, damnation alley, the day after, food of the gods,

An old topic, but why not revive it???

The Wicker Man
I got this see this with my coven at its first release, way back in the early '80s, at the Orson Wells Theater in Central Square, Cambridge, MA. We sat in the first row. At the end, when the burning Wicker Man collapses, revealing the red, red sun behind, we burst into joyful applause. Everyone else in the theater looked at us, horrified. :whoaaah: It was a good night.

Blade Runner
Harrison Ford is such a fucking hunk. AND, there is a high violence quotient. Plus, flying cars. What more can you ask?

The Right Stuff
Hunky men flying rockets. Yowww! Who cares if it is terrific filmmaking but horrible history? What Tom Wolfe did to Gus Grissom was a crime. Let me punish you, Tom. I have just the sling.

Alphaville
Lemmy Caution drives a Ford Galaxy through intergalactic space (Paris.) It bends your mind, in French.

Repo Man
Harry Dean Stanton and a young, luscious Emilio Estevez also bend your mind, in English.
repo_man_trunk.jpg

I still get the shivers remembering "Eraserhead", and I think "Trainspotting" was incomparable, but it's been a long, long time since I last saw a movie.

I still get the shivers remembering "Eraserhead", and I think "Trainspotting" was incomparable, but it's been a long, long time since I last saw a movie.

I almost added "Eraserhead". A friend of mine took me to it waaaay back in 1980, saying "You will be a different person after seeing this movie." And he was right.

David Lynch's daughter was quoted as saying "It's better he gets it out in his movies." She directed "Boxing Helena", which is a whole mind-fuck of its own.

I felt assaulted by Lynch's "Wild At Heart" when I saw it at the Nickelodeon in Brookline, MA in the early 90s. Many years later, I saw it on television, and it didn't have the same impact. Thank the gods. Explicit pictures of brains spilled on tiled floors, and psychotic mothers painting themselves completely in lipstick while sitting in the toilet and plotting the murder of their daughter's lover, just aren't as terrifying if they aren't forty feet tall.

Now I must see "Trainspotting." Thanks for mentioning it!

I felt assaulted by Lynch's "Wild At Heart" when I saw it at the Nickelodeon in Brookline, MA in the early 90s. Many years later, I saw it on television, and it didn't have the same impact. Thank the gods. Explicit pictures of brains spilled on tiled floors, and psychotic mothers painting themselves completely in lipstick while sitting in the toilet and plotting the murder of their daughter's lover, just aren't as terrifying if they aren't forty feet tall.

You remind me that I did see "Wild at Heart" (on a TV screen), and, strangely enough, given some of the scenes you mention, I remember NOTHING from it, except an image of Laura Dern in the back seat of a car...but I know I saw it. Maybe my memory loss is a combination of the alcohol I was drinking at the time and the current old age of my brain.

You remind me that I did see "Wild at Heart" (on a TV screen), and, strangely enough, given some of the scenes you mention, I remember NOTHING from it, except an image of Laura Dern in the back seat of a car...but I know I saw it. Maybe my memory loss is a combination of the alcohol I was drinking at the time and the current old age of my brain.

I dunno. Your brain seems to work OK, based on your highly literate sigs and posts.

An alternate theory is that your brain deleted some really nasty, non-sexy images. I shiver thinking about the fellow who edited "Wild at Heart" -- Duwayne Dunham* -- (film editing is a profession I seriously considered.) The film editor, even more than the director, really soaks in the images from a movie.
-------
A few books I really enjoyed on the topic of films & film editing:
When the Shooting Stops ... The Cutting Begins: A Film Editor's Story, by Ralph Rosenblum
Magic Hour: A Life in Movies, by Jack Cardiff
Film Form and the Film Sense, by Sergei Eisenstein -- He was gay, and got in trouble for it, although it was his taste for very young men that finally did it.

All these guys worked on many famous movies and with famous movie stars, especially Cardiff.

* Apparently, he was tough enuf, since he did stuff after that movie.

The Lord of the rings are my favourite movies, with Gladiator, Pan's labyrinth and Scott Pilgrim.
I like heroic fantasy, and SF.

What have people seen lately? Anything rock your world? I think out of everything I've seen lately that the new Mad Max was the most original.

Back