Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
2592517875_77be17b8f4.jpg

Struck right at 3.00 am in the dead of night, it was horribe and I felt sick.
[h=1]M5.9[/h]I jumped out of bed and felt absolutely nauseous.

I got terribly dizzy, lamps were swinging violently from side to side, I ran in the corridor and couldn't walk properly.

Entire house was shaking.

Everyone was woken up, some people from high rises ran into the streets.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/usb0009uyx#summary

Some people have been rushed to hospital, most tripped and fell on stairs in panic.

We've had a magnitude >7 a few years back and have experienced one in L.A. several years ago magnitude 9 and one in San Francisco >8. I must be a jinx where ever I go. LOL :confused:

Damn, so many people live in earthquake zones yet everyone thinks it's not going to happen to them!

This one felt very strong, I am only beginning to imagine what it must have felt like in Japan last year.

We had a small one in Delaware a year ago. The waterglass at lunch had waves in it and couldn't understand why. Further west in Washington it was a bit worse. I hope no one was seriously hurt there. Where was it centered ?

I just heard it reported on TV. Luckily, no one was killed.

Amazing yes, although at the moment I thought our house was coming down.

Last night we had an earthquake in Italy as well. M5.9

Yes, it's on the news here. Horrible, I hope there are no more victims and destruction.

When it happens, do you feel sick?

:green puke:

I am glad that you are OK Meatpie. We have a tremor very rarely. Nothing severe hereabouts.

Not a single crack, our house was completed in 1970 and so far has handled all earthquakes pretty well.

If a more powerful earthquake strikes in the future I am a pancake corpse, it won't be able to withstand a bigger tremor.

Our newer house though is reinforced concrete and steel desgined to withstand even a major earthquake.

Not a single crack, our house was completed in 1970 and so far has handled all earthquakes pretty well.

If a more powerful earthquake strikes in the future I am a pancake corpse, it won't be able to withstand a bigger tremor.

Our newer house though is reinforced concrete and steel desgined to withstand even a major earthquake.

:facepalmh::sad2:

WHOA !!! :this isnt happening
Hope things are better now. :smile:

Active faults within the boundary region trend ENE to WNW, and they have normal or oblique normal and strike–slip displacements consistent with the velocity field. Within the western part of the boundary region, extension is transferred to the north of the Sofia graben across the westernmost part of the Stara Planina Mountains and the ridges of the western Sredna Gora.

Meat Pie,

After I did some brief research on your country Bulgaria in relation to earthquakes.

OUCHY and Bulgaria has been very lucky.

I see the earthquakes in Bulgaria as the land stretching, like a cat does after it sleeps, therefore releasing stress. No biggie expect these earthquakes can be a precursor to a big one in the future.

Find it interesting that your country has a healthy combination of the above mention earthquake type fault lines.

The strike-slip is generally responsible for the large earthquakes over 6.0- 7.0+ reported all over the world and is considered the most destructive type.

On the other hand their is the super sheer earthquake theory.

Sofia....ouch...that is a bit like the 1985 Mexico earthquake where there was a huge earthquake in the west coast of Mexico and the shock waves and energy transferred to Mexico city, therefore, there was more destruction in Mexico City than the epicenter of the earthquake.

Really do not like two mountains sandwiched between the valley in your country, screams disaster alert.

http://members.noa.gr/aganas/en/Ganas_et_al_1904.pdf

Last edited:
Back