Failed assination attempt at Royal Dutch Family ends in 4 bystanders dead

Entilzha

Confederate Soldier
Failed assassination attempt at Royal Dutch Family ends in 4 bystanders dead.

That is the sad case during a celebration of our national holiday Queensday. A dutch male, 38 years old, broke with a car through two barricades and drove straight through a crowd of spectators. Fortunately, he missed the royal family and crashed into a monument. Apparently his car was damaged and could not steer left or right anymore, saving more people from harm.
The sad part is that 4 innocent bystanders were killed, 1 on the scene and 3 died later from their injuries.
Also 13 people were injured, and 6 are still in serious condition

The black Suzuki is driven by the culprit, in the background you so see people falling on the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qfDVx6xNBo

Really crazy stuff.

Its on the news even in Bulgaria and the most read news article on BBC NEWS.

Thanks Entilzha.

Such a tragedy on your holiday. Did they identifiy the vicitms?

No, not yet. There will be more news comming.

I will keep you posted.

UPDATE:

The culprit died of his injuries last night. Police fear they will never learn the motive and reasons behind this attack. They are convinced it was a one-man mission, no terrorist or ideological reason behind the assassination attempt. The individual in question lost his job in Security, had to foreclose his home and was depressed.
There have been cancellations of festivals during Queensday and May 1st, of respect for the deceased ones. They will be remembered maybe next week, to see if more might be added. 1 wounded is still in critical condition.

Yes, I heard that he died on the news here.

He was cute, there is face pic of him in his car on UR.

Do you know if any young guys were among the victims?

Are they gonna have open caskets?

I do not know, and I doubt there will be much pics of their corpses. It is against the law to do that here (Law on Privacy), but I will try to find out if I can find faces of them while they were alive...

Will there be a day of national mourning?

There will be one planned next week. It is unknown if members of the royal family are present

Why do you need a royal family anyway?

something from the past and it is a status symbol for our country.

We are after all officially named The Kingdom of the Netherlands :)

You would like a royal family

And what does the royal family exactly do?

Is it like in Great Britian, filling the pages of the tabloid press?

the case in the Netherlands is different from UK. As many as 85% percent of its population are in support of the monarchy , and the queen is sincerely loved and esteemed by the people.
However , as a dutch put it: through the tragedy "We have lost the innocence of members of the royal family, and of the people looking from behind the barriers."

http://www.radionetherlands.nl/currentaffairs/region/netherlands/090501-queen-bicycle-mc

During the Second World War, the Royal FAmily lived in Ottawa Canada. The last Queen before the current one was born in Ottawa and the Canadian government passed a law that the suite where she was born would be designated Netherland Territory so she would not have dual citizenship. My birth was in the same hospital, a few months later, same year as I understand it.

Back