Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
March 21, First day of Spring!

Heavy snowfall here with strong northerly wind.

My feet are cold.

Awesomely hot down here!!!

I'm typing this in my room wearing nothing but my short curled all the way up...

The entire day: 13 degrees centigrade, clear blue sunny sky.

Now the sun is setting, but still clear and about 10 degress

And what did you do today?

Chat up serb guys on the internet all day?

Do you ever go out of your dingy apartment?

Sunny and warm today but we expect heat from the sahara desert tomorrow.

Hail and thunderstorms here, for two days now.

Today was a partly cloudy day with sun.

Tomorrow will be a bit warmer, still cloudy and sunny.

The rest of the week promises more sun and warmer weather

At 11:30 PM - a balmy 90 degrees. Time for a night swim. It was a cool and comfortable 100 degrees today. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer, around 104. We really can't complain. It is supposed to hit 110+ later this week with a possible monsoon on Friday and/or Saturday.

Where in the US are you? 110 degrees??? Thats more than 40'C right?

We continue with more thunderstorms today, it was pouring with rain in the morning and I couldn't sleep from all the lighning that was going on.

Where in the US are you? 110 degrees??? Thats more than 40'C right?

We continue with more thunderstorms today, it was pouring with rain in the morning and I couldn't sleep from all the lighning that was going on.

The desert Southwest - Arizona. Also known as Hell on Earth. 110'F is approximately 43'C. Everyone flocks here in the Summer because of the weather and the Winter because it is mild and no snow, at least in the southern part of the state. They qualify it by saying it is a dry heat. To me, anything over 100 is just plain old HOT. And yes, you can fry a egg on the sidewalk or the hood of your car. They do it on the TV news every summer just to prove it can be done. One station fried bacon on the hood of a car just to prove how hot it was. This is mild. In late July and August, it will be 112 - 115 daily and cool down to the mid to upper 90s at night. I love thunderstorms. I miss weather. Varying degrees of hot just do not cut it. Give me rain, hail. thunder, snow, ice, wind, the works.

When someone says Arizona I imagine this:

800px-Meteor.jpg

Have you been there?

Really arid.

So whats the rainest month in arizona?

Yes I have. It is out in the middle of nowhere. It is up North, east of Flagstaff. It is on the Interstate freeway heading towards New Mexico. After the crater, heading East, you come across the Petrified Forest National Park, where very, very, very old trees have turned to rock. There is a road that travels through the park that you drive along and you look at scenes like the picture below.

0018a04e.jpg

It is the same sort of idea as the drive-through wild anilmal safari park establishments. Here in the states we liked our drives - i.e. the 17 Mile Drive in California that goes from Monterey to Carmel along the coast and includes the Pebble Beach Golf course.

17mile.jpg

One of the big draws are the Cypress trees, standing alone on the rocks.

4256358-The_Lone_Cypress_on_17_Mile_Drive-Monterey.jpg

Back to Arizona weather - March, on average is the wettest month with July and August following close behind due to the monsoons. Ah, monsoon season, when Arizona gets to enforce its' "Stupid Motorist" law. Yes it is real.

Every year, during Arizona’s summer monsoon thunderstorms, dozens of drivers attempt to cross flooded washes and roads. They become stranded in the rushing waters and need to be rescued by emergency personnel at great cost to local governments. This annual occurrence prompted the creation of Arizona traffic code Title 28-910, commonly referred to as the “Stupid Motorist Law.” Enacted in 1995, the Arizona Stupid Motorist Law allows local governments to prosecute people who knowingly enter a public street or highway or a wash that is temporarily covered by water and/or is barricaded due to flooding. Motorists can be held liable for the costs of any emergency response such as rescuing the driver and/or any passengers or removing the inoperable vehicle from a flooded public street or highway or a wash. Violation of the Stupid Motorist Law can result in a bill of $2,000 maximum for each violation.

Since monsoon season started officially June 15, we have been bombarded with commercials about the "Stupid Motorist Law" and all of the local channels on TV have aired monsson readiness programs several times. it would be fine if they said something new. But it is the same stuff each year.

For a real treat - hopefully you are not afraid of heights - try the Grand Canyon Skywalk. All there is between you and nothing is inches of plexiglass.

http://www.grandcanyonskywalk.com

See the pictures below.

05_grand_canyon_skywalk.jpg

capt_5cb2fbef71a74d218972da4dff26f086_grand_canyon_skywalk_azphp101.jpg

grand_canyon_skywalk-9.jpg

You are out over 4000 ft of nothing. The world's tallest buildings like Taipei 101 and the Petronas Towers can easily fit under it with plenty of room to spare. I know they say things pass and exceed structural requirements, but I still am not convinced. For now, I will stay with my feet firmly planted on terra firma.

You live in an interesting state, I would love to visit. What month do you recommend?

I am not used to extreme heat, can pass out if it goes above 40'C in the shade.

Those tree - they look huge!!!

North America is a big insane and very old continent.

I will definately go to Arizona in my visit to the US.

Its noon here, pouring with rain, severe thunderstorms day and night.

hail%20storm%2020-2-05%20003.jpg

You live in an interesting state, I would love to visit. What month do you recommend?

I am not used to extreme heat, can pass out if it goes above 40'C in the shade.

Those tree - they look huge!!!

North America is a big insane and very old continent.

I will definately go to Arizona in my visit to the US.

I would say sometime February through April. It can reach 100' in May. During that time frame it is still comfortable in the deserts and cooler in the mountains/hills. You can go for hikes, visit the Red Rock country around Sedona, partake of winter activities - skiing, etc. in what is called the "Snowbowl" up north, and explore the lakes and rivers to the north. If you wish, you can make a trip to Puerto Penasco, Mexico and explore the Gulf of California area down there. There are US travel advisories against going, but it is up to the individual. Plus, Las Vegas is only 5-6 hours away by car and Southern California - San Diego and the Los Angeles metroplex, are only 8-10 hours away. There is much to do and see around. Just stay away from May to October - 100'+/40'+ is the norm, not the exception.

Back