Very interesting article yes!!

Its sad that the internet seems to be a VOID,no one cares for anyone and its sad......

I have heard MANY TIMES of people egging someone on to COMMIT SUICIDE. (As they dont think it will happen) Just aweful things go on ON THE NET and its quite sad!

I was corresponding fairly regularly with a guy overseas and had a conversation with him on a Tuesday before noon. Friday, I got a note saying his body had been found at his computer on Thursday and had been there since Tuesday and it appeared I had been the last to get an email from him. He had died of a heart attack. His friend had found a list of passwords and opened his email account.

Hey,djb. Hell of a way to find this kind of stuff out. A close friend from school died on the operating table-bleed out-during routine op. He was from small town 35mi away. They didn't put notice in metro paper. No one here knew 'till mail came RTS w/ notes scribbled on them-3 mos after the fact. About 8 mos prior, another bud, w/ several of us had had falling out committed suicide. Notice/burial was so fast, no one could go. Makes for a real bummer of multiple guilts & anger. Very sorry for your loss. Losing some body , even in a distant friendship, is cause for sadness.

There are several pains in this world: physical pain, the pain of not getting something we want, the pain of being abused but the worst being the pain of losing someone we care about: whether it is by death or them simply abandoning us. That can really hurt you.

The internet although it can be used for good frequently gets used for such cruel purposes such as forcing or egging someone to kill themselves. The sad thing is: it nearly always works...

I re-read the article today. The sites mentioned , sound like they have the possibility to do some real good for those who have made real friendships online, or who communicate mostly w/ distant friends and family online. I can say from sad experience the special guilt, anger and sadness that comes from being ignorant of the fact of a pals passing, etc.

If I had a nickel for every death and suicide I read about in a forum that later turned out to be false, I could buy a fleet of cruise ships...well maybe a used fishing boat, but that's still a lot of nickels. Now I just ignore it when I read about someone's death unless I know the person IRL, and have contact info of their friends and family to verify.

Back