An ad to fight obesity in the U.S.

psycboy

Forum Regular
Did anyone see this ad? Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx0IJnO3o8g

It has generated quite a debate over whether the ad has gone too far in promoting public health. Here's part of a report from Huffington Post, a news website: "The Washington, DC-based group Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM)'s new "Consequences" ad takes dead aim at McDonald's high-fat menu. The provocative ad has become a story unto itself, because it has in only a few days generated nearly one million views on YouTube, and has been covered by newspapers and broadcast media around the world."

The bigger question then becomes: should ads produce some kind of shock value in order to make people be aware of the consequences of their actions, like drunk driving, for instance. I recall someone here posting a French ad that is similar to the one above regarding drunk driving (?).

What do you guys think?

I don't find the ad shocking, it's tasteless and clearly aimed at McDonald's, not fair.

Yeah, I think it's not fair. It's not really against obesity anyway it's against meat eating and McDonalds. Kind of dumb, but they're probably hoping it'll discourage the youngsters.

Back