A day at JMsidious's office.

JMsidious

CDG Devotee
Child missing, 3 dead after jet hits house in San Diego

• Story Highlights
  • Small child still missing; search to continue Tuesday morning
  • Pilot -- the jet's only occupant -- ejected safely, was taken to hospital
  • Report: Other homes scorched, residents ran for their lives
SAN DIEGO, California (CNN) -- A grandmother, mother and young child died when a military fighter jet crashed into a house in San Diego, California, on Monday, igniting a huge fireball, authorities said.
Another child is missing, officials said. A search ended at nightfall Monday but will continue Tuesday morning, a representative for the medical examiner said.
The father is a businessman who was at work at the time of the crash and was not reached for comment, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune.
The F/A-18D plane, which authorities described as disabled, was trying to land at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar.
The jet had just performed landing training on a Navy aircraft carrier before the pilot reported having trouble, according to the Marine Corps.
"It was, oh gosh, maybe a couple of hundred feet off the ground. And it was quiet -- I think the engine was off," said San Diego resident Ian Lerner, who was heading to lunch at a shopping center about a half-mile from the neighborhood of about 20 homes when he saw the jet flying low.
"Then all of a sudden, we saw the canopy of the jet explode and go up, and then we saw the pilot blast out of the plane and the parachute open," Lerner said.
Another witness said the jet was flying at a low altitude, and "just spiraled, right out of [the movie] 'Top Gun.'" »
The house was destroyed. A photograph taken at the scene showed the pilot, who ejected safely, sitting on the front lawn, making a call on his cell phone. He was taken to the hospital, the Marine Corps said in a written statement Monday.
The pilot, whose name was not released, was the only occupant of the two-seat aircraft, according to the Marine Corps.
The Union-Tribune spoke with Steve Diamond, a retired naval aviator, who said he found the pilot in a tree behind a house. He told the paper he helped the man, who Diamond said was a lieutenant in his 20s, down from the tree.
The pilot told him that after he lost power in one engine, it was decided he would try to get the jet to Miramar on the single working engine, Diamond told the paper.
The pilot was in communication with military air traffic controllers before the jet crashed, and the crash site is about two miles from the airfield, the Federal Aviation Administration said.
According to the Los Angeles Times, the pilot ejected moments before the crash and landed without injury in a tree about two miles from Miramar. Jason Widmer said he talked to the pilot, who said he had tried to steer the jet from the homes and into a brushy canyon.
"He was pretty shook up and pretty concerned if he had killed anyone," Widmer told San Diego 6. "He had seen his bird go into a house."
A retired general, a pilot who has flown for 40 years and more than 270 missions in Vietnam, said the decision to eject is up to the pilot. F/A-18D planes are very dependable, but any aircraft is given to error.
That model has two engines, and it can operate with one engine fine. But if one engine malfunctions, it's possible that a blade can break off and fly into the other engine, causing it to malfunction, too. If both engines are inoperable, and the plane descends below 10,000 feet, it's likely the pilot will soon lose control.
When the pilot pulls a ring-like lever between his legs, a series of automatic actions is set off: The pilot's harness comes loose, and he is pushed through a canopy, which is rigged to facilitate him breaking through it without causing injury. A pilot can opt to manually activate his parachute, but if he doesn't, the parachute will open on a timer.
The plane would crash randomly once the pilot is no longer in control.
Burning debris scorched two additional homes, and a piece of the jet struck another home. "This could have wiped out half a dozen homes, depending on how it landed," said Maurice Luque, a spokesman for the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department. (My employer)
Inside one of those houses, Robert Johnson sat in his living room with his daughter, Heather Certain, and her 2-year-old son, Nicholas, according to the Union-Tribune. They heard the explosion, then saw a giant fireball in the picture window facing their front yard, the newspaper reported. They ran out of the house.
"The house shook like an earthquake," Johnson said. "I saw the flames right there in front of my house."
iReporter Chris Morrow of San Diego said she went to the crash site Monday and saw "two houses that looked like they'd blown up."
The Marine Corps said it is investigating what went wrong with the plane. The military has jurisdiction over the crash site.

2d79ff11-e304-4f4d-9aa8-9199320efd1f.jpg

I think I might be just off camera in this shot. The scene is right, but I can't remember when this was taking place. It was A MESS - Had to wear respirators - poor Marines didn't. IT REEKED OF TOXIC FUMES. My sperm probably have two heads and Down's Syndrome now. Thank goodness I won't be breeding any time soon.:sm (33):

Crashed 10 miles from my home.

The pilot was great - he narrowly avoided hitting a packed High School - Thank God for his quick thinking.:sm (59):

Last edited:
My sperm probably have two heads and Down's Syndrome now. Thank goodness I won't be breeding any time soon.:sm (33):

:sm (13)::sm (62):

I will do you, toxic or not.

But srsly what a sad situation, those people probably never knew what hit them.

The moment I read about this tragedy on the BBC I instantly thought about you, hope you didn't inhale too much of this shit.

So did you see blood and guts?

Several injuries - none serious - but three died and one kid is still missing.

Some blood, no guts. I did attend to the pilot for a brief moment - he was good looking.

:sm (40):I will do you, toxic or not.

Be careful - after doing me, you may glow in the dark.
But srsly, I'd do you even IF you glowed in the dark - easier to find what part to suck on - oops, getting HARD...:sm (27):

sad about the kid :( Hope the find it.

So who gets to collect the bodies? Were they charred? mangled?

The M.E. - if they are obviously dead my team doesn't waste time with them.

Glow in the Dark Meatpie and JmSidious....

Never have sex near Chernobyl!!!

;)

Thanks for another great link JM !

This brings horrific memories of that dreadful day, mom and dad wouldn't let us play outside, I was three, sis only one years old ! I though we was all gona die.

Didn't eat vegetables and we drank only bottled water.

What a fucking nightmare that was.

Thanks!!!

I remember the day it happened. We were not allowed to eat spinach, drink milk or all the other stuff that grew on the land. My mom went ballistic when she flew in the room and said that that in the Soviet-Union (Or USSR or CCCP as it was called then) a big accident happened!
Mom was always anti-Russian. Dad did not care that much. Mom was really afraid!

But I'm derailing da thread.

Back to topic!

Entilzha - But I'm derailing da thread.

It's my thread - I say who is derailing it - and no you are not!! :sm (53):

all of you did knew about some chernobyl so soon?? Fucking russian and czechoslovakia governments said us about this four days,maybe one week after the accident happend.Maybe in bulgaria and other east states,you heard this from voice of america or free europe or something like that? Czechs probably didn´t listen enough carrefully.haha
Yeah,i love all our czech governments,they are always so kind,all of you was scared to death,but we was HAPPY!!! LOL It was hot summer,everybody was outside naked near water,and above us was flying radioactive clouds.And twice!!Because wind did turn over 180°,and clouds was crossing above us again.
Do you know,that in chernobyl,they grow lentil as battery for watch? hihi
Yea,yea,it is old joke,you probably heard this already.
I´m doing jokes,but poor people which must to live there.

Last edited:
There was a rumour in Bulgaria that spread like wildfire. Then they officially announced it on the news but nothing much could have been done about it.

Back