robtheheartboy

Forum Regular
I am absolutely appalled at some of the horrible English used in this thread. Sometimes, in addition to numerous spelling mistakes, the grammar has been so incorrectly assembled that it's intent and meaning has completely changed.

English, after all, is the universal language more or less. It is the one language that binds and ties all our communication in this forum. I think a lot of misunderstandings can be avoided if everyone used their grammar and sentence structure correctly.

We're all intelligent beings, so I know everyone who posts here is capable of proper English. After all, it is not my first language either, but I have become proficient in it's use. Why can't everyone else? My IQ is only 76, so if I can figure it out, the average human being can as well.

English isn't even a hard language to learn. It's actually one of the easiest languages to learn. It's not like a hard language to learn.

Has anyone ever tried to learn Polish? I believe that Polish is truly a hard language to learn if it's not your first language.

Thanks for taking the time to read my rant. I admit I make grammar and spelling mistake occasionally, but many people with an ordinary IQ seem to have much worse language skills. They should be thankful they have the mental capacity to do so.

Some people here appear to be unable to make a single-sentence-post with correct spelling and grammar.

Robert F. Deloran

Thanks for your frankness, this is interesting. I have to say, I think lots of people find English really hard to learn. I know many people who speak it as a second language and lots of them tell me it's difficult. Maybe they're just lazy, I don't know. Living in NYC I speak to so many people with really strong accents from all over the world. I actually don't mind messed up grammar too much it makes me laugh and feel smarter. What I find annoying is everyone abbreviating words these days. I have no idea what most of it means, what's worse is when people talk that way too!
I understand how difficult it is for people because when I have to speak another language I don't want to sound stupid but I probably do. I speak Spanish pretty well but sometimes I don't know certain words and feel like a dummy. That's why I want to take classes in it so I sound smarter. Sounds like that's what you did with English and I commend you for it.

I understand the point you're making Robert, but for me the main thing is communicating, for better or worse
This forum, like so many others draws an international crowd and I don't expect to see proper English or grammar
If someone is able to convey what they mean in a somewhat legible manner then it's all good as far as I'm concerned
Take myself for instance, you may have noticed I didn't use a period (.) in any of my sentences
Why?
Because I don't like them

cheers - on your mastering of the English language

I am non-native too I make a lot of mistakes but as CJ pointed out this is an internet forum where people from different backgrounds share and dicuss material that is posted, the situation is informal.

I understand why this may be annoying to some but there is nothing we can do about it, there is just too many people from different countries and different backgrounds, including education.

I found several spelling mistakes in your post too but I am in no way annoyed - you managed to convey your message anyway.

I'm an intelligent guy (I think!), but I'm really bad at other languages - so I admire people who learn English well as a second language - and for those that don't, thanks for trying, you can only be better than my French or spanish!
Also, I'm sure some of the 'horrible English' here is from guys who don't speak any english and are using Google translate or some other translation software. It can be pretty weird but we normally get what it means - and if that's how someone needs to communicate on the world's best dead guys site, that's OK by me!

Quite frankly, I think it is arrogant to point out "horrible English used in this thread" (What thread, BTW? You meant Forum?). As a non-native speaker/write, it's been a struggle. So what language do you fluently speak and write, robtheheartboy? If "we're all intelligent beings" as you suggest, is that to difficult to realize if learning Polish is truly hard, learning Polish or similar languages may be equally hard? Who decides which language is easy and difficult?

No need for unnecessary distress, we are relaxed community. Real life is stressful anyway.

I have had a lot of people tell me that English is really hard to learn because we have so many words that are spelled exactly the same but have two entirely different meanings. Also we use a lot slang. I personally find German very hard to understand or speak. In order to understand each other we must have a common language to go along with our common interest's. That's what keeps the cum flowing!

English isn't my native language either. I speak three languages fluently, English being the second one I learned.

The reason why I try to use good, clean, and orthodox grammar and sentence structure is the very fact that a lot of people here don't have English as their primary language. Thus it should be quite clear that the less cluttered my text is, the easier it is to understand.

I learned french in school and I find english language a lot easy to learn. I read in english almost every day, I can understand the written text quite well. But I have no one to speak with in english so I have serious problems experessing myself. And we have only a few tenses in hungarian so sometimes it is really hard to decide which one to use. I dont think someone is dummy just becaouse he doesnt have the chance to practice...
You mentioned polish... I have been to Poland severeal times and I can tell you that almost nobody speaks english who is 30 or more. (and all the other postcommunist countries have the same problem)

Trix, your written English is good, and you will have people to chat to here - welcome!

When i was working at a hotel i was the only person in our department who spoke just one language. So am always respectful and more than a little in awe of anyone able to communicate in anything other than their native tongue.
English is also pretty notorious for the amount of slang, i believe?

The English people and people who speak English are lucky. I was born in England. I think its easy to be lazy if English is your mother tounge because many people in the world have to learn English to get ahead. Its just the way it is . English were successful in spreading all over the world because of the British Empire. The Americans as powerful as they are now were never as successful as the English with distrubiting their culture on others all over the world for good or bad depending on oponion on the subject.Its just fact like it or not.
Its ok to harp on people who should know how to speak the language properly when they do not, but for people who do not speak it as their first language, I think we can give them a break. At least they are trying to learn a diffucult language, something that many English speakers do not even bother to do.
Its hard to find correct English spoken, even in England.

Back