24 years since the Chernobyl Disaster

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
Chernobyl_Disaster.jpg

On this day, 24 years ago a complete core meltdown occured in reactor four of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant about 100 south from Kiev, capital of Ukraine but then part of the Soviet Union.

Several dudes who were working near the reactor were vaporized, firefighters who arrived couldn't put out the flames and died within ours of radiation sickness. People around the plant started puking, radiation was so high they could only survive for a few hours.

Tons of radioactive material were ejected into the atmosphere and within days a radioactive cloud covered the whole of Europe.

Several weeks later it became clear that a second explosion was imminent, far more devastating than the first one.

Had the melted core exploded again, the whole of Europe would have been rendered uninhabitable. Fortunately brave soldiers dug a tunnel under the plant and somehow they managed to prevent further explosions.

I was 3 years old in this dark day in history, mom and died cried and though we were going to die.

Scandinavia was particularly hard-hit but also the UK and France.

The radioactive cloud reached Bulgaria in a week and radioactive particles rained on our heads.

Radiation continued to spread until it encircled the whole globe.

Let us remember this dark horrific day in history and pray for those who died.

Around 200,000 young men were called it to remove radioactive material from the top of the reactor.

Half of them died before reaching 30, the others are disabled or suffering from poor health.

In the Ukraine, and Belarus thyroid cancer in children is common.

Kids as young as 10 developed thyroid cancer.

:( :sm (41):

Today is a sad day for me, a day of reflection but also a day of hope for a
better feature.

MAY ALL THOSE WHO PERISHED IN THIS TRAGIC INCIDENT NEVER BE FORGOTTEN AND REST IN PEACE.

Well said Meatpie. If the wind had been blowing from the south that day, Kiev would have been uninhabitable.

Makes me said seeing that the anniversary wasn't even mentioned by major broadcasters like the BBC.

Back