Death Penalty in Brazil?

New Yorker

Forum Regular
Washington DC (Georgetown) and New York City (UES)
It is difficult not to notice the plethora of picture of dead Brazilian guys on this site. It does make sense considering Brazil had over fifty thousand deaths in 2015 alone. I used to live in Brazil when I was a kid because my father was posted there (yes, my parents traded New York's Upper East Side for Rio de Janeiro). As such, I have a soft spot in my heart for Brazil and I follow Brazilian politics just as much as I follow American politics.

Brazil is in a very interesting position right now. Its economy is faltering and the elites are either unable or unwilling to tackle the corruption and governmental mismanagements that have brought Brazil to its knees. Brazilians are furious and history shows that when a population feels neglected, they tend to go right-wing (look at what happened in the United States and in some Western European countries). Brazil has a presidential election in 2018 and one of the candidates who seems to be gaining traction is called Jair Bolsonaro who wants to bring back the death penalty to Brazil as a way to deter crime. If he gets elected, there is a possibility that we will see many poor Brazilian being executed.

I am curious to see how people feel about this.

I am surprised there isn't a death penalty in Brazil... The prison riots summed my fantasies up perfectly because when I think of a hot guy i want to cut his heart out and chop off his head. But it's only fantasy.. These people did it like it was the norm, they didn't pause and they didn't show an ounce of emotion. What I saw in videos, pictures and media showed inhumanity at its finest. Animals is an insult to the animal kingdom

They should have been lined up and shot. Or rather strapped down and their own hearts ripped out

I have little regard for the lives of savages be they Brazillian or middle eastern

Those of us who live in industrialized nations live in our own bubble. Though our societies are by no means utopian, we live relatively safely and comfortably in comparison with countries where violence is rampant. I think when people are exposed to extreme poverty and inhumane violence, they become desensitized and lose the ability to empathize with other human beings. We have violence in East New York or South Chicago, but it's no where as cruel or brutal as what we see in countries like Brazil.

Violence is a funny thing; people only care about it when it is shocking. Public hangings were very common in the United States in the early 20th century. The practice was discontinued because it was deemed too barbaric. We now use lethal injections. Nevertheless, it is still violence as someone is being executed. We just tell ourselves lethal injection is a more civilized way to kill someone.

Perhaps surprisingly (though you may notice I don't often post execution stuff), in real life I am opposed to the death penalty full stop. Killing another human being for real is actually wrong however hot it may be through the filter of a screen (and when it has already happened so can't be changed). And two wrongs never make a right.

Back