Snakebite

deaddirty

Forum Elite
Indonesian and Khmer - some cobra, some I'm not sure.
To me snakebite can be hot, mainly if it's elapid snakes (cobras, kraits, mambas etc) which inject mainly nerve poison and kill by suffocation (and it's relatively painless too, in fact with mambas and kraits sometimes the guy doesn' know he's been bitten until symptoms of paralysis appear). And it can be a dirty death. And of course the cobra is the ultimate death-phallus :)

Others very welcome to add to this thread, but one request - please none of the really gruesome pics of viper-bite where the whole limb is eaten away by the venom (of course fine to start a separate thread for those - complete turn-off for me but some are bound to like).

Well now...if that isn't a hell of a thing, to be bitten by a death-phallus that was hiding in the toilet bowl! I don't like snakes, and I believe that's a pretty universal sentiment (except of course for our very own deaddirty who is an elapid enthusiast).

I wouldn't describe myself as an elapid enthusiast - I definitely prefer them the other side of a computer screen, and another guy not me getting the sharp end of their fangs and the, um, consequences.
Actually I think for a lot of us it's a mixture of fascination and fear - I know when i've seen an adder (our only venomous snake, a small viper) from a safe distance I'm fascinated, but the couple of times i've come close to being biten it's been real fear, out of proportion since a bite is hardly ever fatal.

I never would have guessed the UK had ANY poisonous snakes left. Your country seems too small and crowded for such monsters to have survived in the wild. I hope the adders are rare enough that one doesn't just come across them while out for a stroll; that one has to actually search them out.

Still very common if you walk in the right (or wrong!) places such as moorland or sand dunes - I've seen maybe 8-10 over the years including 3-4 near misses when they were far to close to my foot or hand for comfort. And apparently about 100 people a year get bitten though a lot of those may be 'dry' bites and it's 30 years since the last death. The first one I saw was on a stroll (me not the adder strolling that is) just yards from the car - and I was precisely 2 steps from treading on it.
The UK is a dangerous place!

But never both at once, at least in my experience. Whenever I have seen an adder, Her Majesty Queen Elisabeth II has not been present. Though like the adder, in practice she very rarely kills. Unlike Prince Philip, who according to the Daily Mail many years ago bagged several brace of peasants.

Did you mean to type "pheasants", deaddirty, or was Philip actually killing his serfs?

I meant to type 'peasants' - it was the Daily Mail that typed peasants when it meant pheasants. Though I wouldn't put it past Prince Philip to bag a few serfs when she's not looking.

One more - Indonesia I think, and maybe cobra

Back