Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Rawks

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
As some of you may know my family has close friends in Charlotte, North Carolina.

They bought a house last year in such a far-off suburb that when I looked them up on Google Earth it looked like a seperate city.

Thats miles and miles away from downtown. In their neighbourhood there is nothing but trees and houses that look the same.

I wonder where they go for shopping, or cinema, bars and disco?

No cafes even?

Personally I don't like urban sprawl but because America is a huge country they allow neighbourhoods to develop at great distance from the city centre.

In my country we don't have sprawl.

Just look any city in Bulgaria from google earth and see how compact everything is.

Public transport is also well-organized, every neighbourhood has at least one of these: tram, metro, bus or trolleybus.

So for or against urban sprawl?

NYC anc Chicago vs LA and Charlotte!

I prefer a close knit city instead of a sprawling urban landscape.

it does has it's niceties, but I like it when everything is close together...

Sofia is not sprawl but you still didn't like it. :suicide:

Sounnds like Bulgaria gets some thigns right, with that good pubic transport.

That is among the few good thing we have left ovet from communism.

img1.jpg

This is what my neighbourhood looks like - huge tower blocks everywhere you look connected with metro.

One such neighbourhood is home to 200,000 people.

Communism fell 20 years ago but they are still constucting these monstrosities.

We built those in the 60s, we're demolishing them now

The UK is one of them most densely populated countries in the world.

Do poor people live in tower blocks in the UK?

At least they offer great view.

London is a huge urban sprawl, why not take advantage of those that are left to accomodate those who want to move in instead of London becoming ever bigger and bigger I find it hard to imagine how you could possible be able to know this city well even you are born there are so many streets and neighbourhoods.

Yes a lot of poor people live in tower blocks in UK. But not all, and not everyone in tower blocks is poor - there's some very upmarket ones (like the Barbican in London - loads of judges live there apparently). View is good unless you're near the bottom, or looking out straight at another tower block!

This is one tower block near where I live - it is about to be demolished

And this is a notorious 1960s car park, also about to be demolished - really brutalist building, regularly wins 'ugliest building in Britain' contests. It's known as the 'Get Carter' car park, because it was used for a scene in that film - a gangster (not cute!) gets trown off the top.

First one is not that bad DD, why are they taking it down?

I hate tower blocks, 200,000 people all in one building, bloody hell that's a lot, there are only 2000 people in my home town and the highest building only has four floors.

This is one tower block near where I live - it is about to be demolished

And this is a notorious 1960s car park, also about to be demolished - really brutalist building, regularly wins 'ugliest building in Britain' contests. It's known as the 'Get Carter' car park, because it was used for a scene in that film - a gangster (not cute!) gets trown off the top.

I think that's kind of a shame they're being demolished. You could house a lot of people in there.

First one is not that bad DD, why are they taking it down?

I agree - I used to know a guy in there (a bf, sort of, though wasn't a great relationship), and the building was OK. There were some probs, but they were from the people not the building. But apparently it went downhill, and the building had structural problems that would have taken a fortune to fix

Back