2012 & Disaster Movies in General

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
2012 - a yet another disaster movie based on the 2012 doomsday even has been released in cinemas accross the world.

You can view its spectacular trailer on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz86TsGx3fc

We have seen it all before - New York gets destroyed, skyscrapers collapse sideways (lol!) and humans die en mass in an absolutely epic disaster that nearly wipes out mankind.

Disaster movies are a popular genre and the fact that they are still produced and people go to see them means there is a grain in truth in them.

2012-picture.jpg

The world will end - true.

People die - true.

Natural disasters happened in the past and will continue to happen in the future.

But we don't know HOW the world will end and move directors exploit exactly this question.

2012 suffers from the same blatant mistakes like its predecessors:

- Skyscrapers don't collapse sideways, toppling over other buildings as we saw in the horrific real-life 9/11 attacks.
- Tsunami waves are not huge in the deep ocean, they rear up as they reach the coast. The 2004 Boxing Day disaster made this clear to the whole world.

Also to split the earh's crust you will need a magnitude 13 earthquake on the richter scale.

Power that can only be generated if the earth was impacted by another cosmic body - a comet or an asteroid.

And so on and so forth.

Give us your views on this movie and the 2012 doomsday event and also on disaster movies in general.

Mostly their are over the top, doing everything that is bad.

I saw one yesterday, a cheap 2012 ripoff.
It was about the Earth stopping to rotate. Very nice, but we discovered many flaws with that.
If the Earth stops rotating, gravity will fail, the atmosphere will be blown away by solar winds because the magnetic field stops working.
Also weather would stop, as rotation fuels weather systems.
So, a bad movie nonetheless...

I have not yet seen 2012...but I will and then give my opinion about it

I just want to be around when it does all end, just to see who was right and who was wrong.
Also just think of the fun on the last day, every one will know thier is no hope, so anything will go , break any laws you like, do as you please, grab and shag anyone you want. Nothing to stop you doing what ever you have wished to do, 24 hours of shear blis.

The universe and the earth, the earth and nature, man is how small, you could do nothing. You can do is let it, are adaptable. When one day during a catastrophe, we can only reduce the magnitude of the disaster, but can not avoid a disaster. in front of nature there is no difference between humans and animals. humans have no choice.

If the Earth stops rotating, gravity will fail

I am sorry but this is not true. Some planets are tidally locked around their Stars and their gravity doesn't "fail".

Gravity is directly linked to mass not rotation.

Very stupid of you to say this.

Also weather would stop, as rotation fuels weather systems.

Another totally deranged statement. Solar radiation creates weather, not rotation. There is weather on planets that are tidally locked to their Stars.

Eath's rotation plays a part in cyclogenesis - cyclones rotate counter clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere.

I hope there would be a lots of hot dead squids if this happens and I am still alive. I am sure nobody would mind too much even if I am digging autopsy pictures at county coroner's offices and collecting evidence from the police.

eh not too great..the day after tomorrow was pretty good I guess...and some older ones like twister and dante's peke are fun to watch..I do prefer horror above action though

Back