Man committs suicide by jumping off bridge in NYC

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
eSpwETF.jpg

A man committed suicide by jumping off the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway in Fort Greene on Wednesday morning, according to police and a witness who said his body landed right in front of her car.

The 42-year-old man stepped off the elevated roadway at around 10:15 am, after parking his car near North Eliot Place and Park Avenue, authorities said.

A woman who was driving along Park Avenue towards Brooklyn Heights with her partner said she saw the man “drop,” as his body fell directly in front of their vehicle.

“One minute I was talking to a person on the phone, and the other I’m screaming,” said Greenpoint resident Carolyn Ayola, who was in the passenger seat at the time.

The man was still breathing when she got out of her car, Ayola said, but even though police and paramedics arrived within minutes, he died at the scene.

Traffic was backed up on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway for miles while police investigated and removed the abandoned car, according to Ayola, who said a friend was up on the highway.

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/39/18/dtg-bqe-suicide-2016-04-29-bk.html

I've experienced traffic tie-ups caused by jumpers and let me tell you---Its the WORST. I remember once turning my car off and waiting over an hour because the highway was closed. I don't know why they choose to do it at rush hour. Its so inconsiderate.

Well done, Meatpie -- you're in Bulgaria and you know more about what's happening in the Northeast United States than I do, and I live here. I agree with serrth that it was inconsiderate of the suicide jumper, but I suppose other considerations were paramount to him on Wednesday.

Back