RIGORMORTIS

stustustugoo

Forum Elite
Established Member
QUESTION............
when a body part is detached from its host such as a arm foot, head leg etc
does it go into rigor or must it be attached to the body to do so?

A severed leg will still get quite stiff, remember that YouTube video of fat guy holding his amputated foot, it was stiff as wood.

A severed leg will still get quite stiff, remember that YouTube video of fat guy holding his amputated foot, it was stiff as wood.

thank you meaty, yes, i do remember the video, but i have another question, is it possible
that his leg was embalmed? because if it was, that would also explain the firmness of his leg,
let me be more precise, would a un embalmed limb lying in the grass rotting still get rigor even
when its un attached to its host.........

tembalmed limb lying in the grass rotting still get rigor

Rigor lasts only a few hours before decomposition sets in, so rot and rigor cannot coexist in the same limb, you sound confused and asking stupid quesitons tonight hope you are not considering chopping off your foot to test.

Rigor lasts only a few hours before decomposition sets in, so rot and rigor cannot coexist in the same limb, you sound confused and asking stupid quesitons tonight hope you are not considering chopping off your foot to test.

lol............................

Yes, Meatpie - you are correct but rigor - does it last longer in some than in others?

The length of time rigor lasts depends on many factors, mainly on ambient temperature and muscle mass of the body - so yes, the time stiffening continues is kinda different.

Back