The Temple of Shadows

Cadarvel

Forum Regular
The Temple of Shadows is a community of worshipers, they worship the unknown, the silence, the shadows.
With a history dating back to the dark ages, the temple of Shadows has spread globally but always remains an underground institution, top secret and it’s regular meetings are hosted literally under ground.
It’s members live among us, and once a month they must provide a sacrifice to the shadows to maintain their membership and also to reap the powers and wisdom of the shadow beings.
The sacrificial ceremonies are held on a casual basis, anyone can bring in their sacrifice at any time of the month. They must lure an unsuspecting sacrifice onto the temple grounds, which are very often beneath public spaces such as libraries, museums, university campi, and even shopping malls. In each ceremony, the fate of the sacrifice will be determined by a spinning game wheel, unimaginatively titled among worshipers as ‘The wheel of misfortune’.
The wheel is identical at all temple grounds world wide, the methods of sacrifice were determined centuries ago and must always be played out uninterrupted. Around the wheel are a multitude of ancient symbols representing a method of death, obviously the one the arrow is pointing to at the end will be the fate of the victim.
The performance the victim gives while dying, and the quality of the victim itself, will factor in appeasing the shadows and bringing fortune to the worshiper.
I first learned about this from a friend of mine, Mike, who is a member himself. He later admitted that he was planning on sacrificing me but figured I would spoil the ritual, he instead introduced me to his superior in the temple. He brought me far into the basement of the library at the university, and led me down an old brick hallway which opened into a large stone atrium, appripriately lit by old fashioned lamps. Some rooms went off the sides but they were small and full of relics. The floor was stone also, except for a large iron disc in the exact centre of the round room. On the other side stood the ominous wheel, very large and old looking. I was introduced to some of the other worshipers, they were telling me of the benefits of joining the temple, suddenly someone burst into the room announcing that a sacrifice is about to take place, they were hurried, obviously time was of the essence. Mike pulled me far aside from the iron circle and explained that I must remain silent and not arouse suspicion in the sacrifice. It was common for there to be spectators as long as they do not interfere or cause the victim to become suspicious.
After a few moments we heard a young womans voice
“Come on it’s just through here, you’ll love it!” She giggled flirtatiously
She came into the room and briefly looked around at the people in the room, giving a subtle nod to a few of them. I supposed she was a student of the university, but a shadow worshipper no doubt.
A handsome man followed her, he seemed dismayed when he noticed others were in the room, it would seem she tricked him to come down here promising some alone time.
He had bold facial structure and blonde hair, 6ft tall or so, bulky physique but you could tell he worked out, his muscles stood out in the cold gas light of the tall room, easy to see since he was wearing a summery blue singlet and denim shorts.
“What is this place?” He said, he seemed to have a Swedish accent.
The woman flirtatiously massaged his earlobe, stroked down his arm and pulled him gently by the hand into the centre of the circle. The metal clunking with a rather beautiful tone as they walked.
“I want to have a little fun!” She giggled again, leaving him in the centre and going over to the wheel.
“What is this? Is this a prank? This is really weird!” He started to become unsettled, I learned can potentially compromise the ritual.
She gave the wheel a good spin. It whipped around with an almighty noise, the old wooden clackers making a hell of a racket as they spun, it was rather ominous. The clacking slowed gradually, everyone, even the young man, watched to see where it would land.

disembowel.jpg

It slowed and slowed, nearing its end it came to rest on a symbol, etched into copper plates, that looked like this:

“I have a quota to meet.” The woman said.
The man suddenly gasped. His eyes went wide and his face tensed, he coughed and blood sputtered from his mouth. Fearfully, he looked down at his body. He lifted his singlet to reveal an immaculately clean cut deep across his belly, his abs cleaved like nothing, as he breathed the flesh separated and blood began to rush from the wound, the skin moved aside under the weight of his organs and his intestines began to spill out of the cut and spread across the floor, he struggled in vain to catch them and hold them inside. He stopped breathing as his diaphragm stopped functioning. Blood gushed relentlessly, I gazed in fascination. His face was pink, with fear and pain, and he was sweating, he knew he was experiencing his own demise. He tried to walk but only more of his innards spilled out. He collapsed, fainting, and several more organs slipped out of the deep wound. He continued to bleed and struggle to draw in a breath for a few moments until he finally succumbed. One or two worshippers in the room clapped softly, the woman smiled and congratulated herself.
People began to chatter once more, the ceremony was over. Mike leaned in to me and said “They don’t always die, sometimes the shadows want to only inflict pain and confusion, it can be rather hilarious at times.” The iron disc seemed to be alive somehow, a shadowy aura came from it and enveloped the mans body, causing it to disappear without a trace in a matter of moments, the shadows had accepted the sacrifice.
“Where do I sign up?” I said.

Let me know if you'd like to read more. I'm writing casually.
Any suggestions for deaths/tortures will be welcomed.

Back