5.1 earthquake causes damage in Los Angeles, Orange County

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
A magnitude-5.1 earthquake centered in northern Orange County jostled the L.A. Basin a few hours ago, causing pictures to fall off walls, glass items to shatter and furniture to tumble. There were also reports of gas and water line damage as well as power outages.

Damage at the 99 Cent Store on Imperial Highway in Brea

More than 100 aftershocks have been recorded so far

Sean Higa, general manager at the Lebard and Underwood motorcycle dealer on Imperial Highway in La Habra, surveys damage after the quake.

I felt it at work last nite about 910pm. I work about 25 mile northwest of La Habra where it was centered. Gently rolling motion for about 20 sec but no damage in our area. Last week we had a 5.6 in Encino which is a suburb next to mine. That woke me up with a strong jolt and shake around 625 am.

Oh wow, I saw tweets about it yesterday. Everybody all right? We don't get much seizmic action out in the Midwest (though apparently the New Madrid faultline is way overdue to buckle---the last time it did that, 200 hundred years ago, it temporarily reversed the course of the Mississippi!)

Felt it in Alhambra- seemed to go on forever but gentle and rolling vs. the sharp jolt from the Encino quake. Nothing close to the hideous Northridge quake though. My family in Chicago thinks I'm crazy for living here but like Sophie said, they have the New Madrid fault line - long overdue for an 8.0

I would've shit my pants if I'd been in that 99 Cent Store when everything began sliding off the shelves. I'm with bacroon's family; I'd be afraid to live in California for fear of the coming BIG ONE. As for the New Madrid fault line, that just never became embedded in my personal phobia file the way the San Andreas did.

Alex - it isn't just the big earthquake that kills - in my training on refugee situations or is the fires , lack of clean water, food , medical care ie breakdown of all known services afterwards - it is estimated after 6 weeks people might start eating each other out if desperation unless relief arrived And we dig big mass graves for the dead so they don't cause a disease risk

I can't believe I've finally been allowed to log into CDG after many months, so while I still can, i'll give a post!
Yes, it seems earthquakes are back in the news again, and since LA has now had 2 'moderate' ones in the last 2 weeks, this could be a patterns that is indicating something bigger is on the horizon - and long long overdue. I think we're going to see a LOT of shit finally happening to the planet in 2014!

Alex - it isn't just the big earthquake that kills - in my training on refugee situations or is the fires , lack of clean water, food , medical care ie breakdown of all known services afterwards - it is estimated after 6 weeks people might start eating each other out if desperation unless relief arrived And we dig big mass graves for the dead so they don't cause a disease risk

That makes sense, John, and it's not a very hopeful scenario. Many people (like me) don't think beyond the quake itself, but, as you point out, there's still plenty of hell to come after the shaking stops.

:not sure:Suspect they will be another 4.0-5.0ish earthquake within the next few months as the built up stress and slowly releasing itself. On top of my head, a big one like this fits in with the average time frame of a big one in this area of the world.
:not sure:I wonder where this stress release is going to travel to? Up north towards San Francisco or down South towards San Diego and northern Mexico, only time will tell.

I only remember ever experiencing 1 earyhquake-and it was soooo very minor.
I guess that's a good thing, huh?

We forget that mankind is not in charge and is at the whim of other forces at work in the universe. At least no one that I have heard was killed or severely injured.

Back