The truth about Bulgarian migrants to the United Kingdom

Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
93974.jpg

H
undreds of articles have been published in the British press about the coming wave of Bulgarian migrants to the UK and especially now in 2014 when all restrictions have been lifted.

Opinions vary but what has already been said about migrants taking advantage of the benefits system is true.

I have friends here who took the plane from Sofia to London which is about 2 hours long landed there and in a few days got a house from the UK government with a large TV set, internet connection, washing machine etc all for free.

Then they got the Jobseeker's Allowance and pretended they were looking for work while all they did was touring London and posting pics on facebook to the envy of their friends.

But London is both beautiful and brutal.

My friends were not accepted by the locals even after an year there, couldn't make any Bfriends and were frowned upon at job interviews or whenever they started talking with a foreign accent.

Some even had kids there only to return to Bulgaria disappointed after failing at every job interview for months.

The European Union will never be like the United States.

Borders are open yes but we are still too different and look on each other as foreigners.

British tourists are not really liked on the Black Sea and are notorious for their binge drinking. :cheers:

Still I think EU nations should have the right to defend themselves against people who abuse their welfare systems and yes Bulgarians are taking advantage of it.

Your views?

93974.jpg

H
undreds of articles have been published in the British press about the coming wave of Bulgarian migrants to the UK and especially now in 2014 when all restrictions have been lifted.

Opinions vary but what has already been said about migrants taking advantage of the benefits system is true.

I have friends here who took the plane from Sofia to London which is about 2 hours long landed there and in a few days got a house from the UK government with a large TV set, internet connection, washing machine etc all for free.

Then they got the Jobseeker's Allowance and pretended they were looking for work while all they did was touring London and posting pics on facebook to the envy of their friends.

But London is both beautiful and brutal.

My friends were not accepted by the locals even after an year there, couldn't make any Bfriends and were frowned upon at job interviews or whenever they started talking with a foreign accent.

Some even had kids there only to return to Bulgaria disappointed after failing at every job interview for months.

The European Union will never be like the United States.

Borders are open yes but we are still too different and look on each other as foreigners.

British tourists are not really liked on the Black Sea and are notorious for their binge drinking. :cheers:

Still I think EU nations should have the right to defend themselves against people who abuse their welfare systems and yes Bulgarians are taking advantage of it.

Your views?

It's a bit of a double-edged sword, isn't it?
Yes, we will all benefit from more open borders and less restrictions on trade, job permits etc.
And yes, there will always be those who will abuse that system for whatever reason, and/or occupy job vacancies that locals could also have taken.

Actually I think your story is a very positive one: those lame Bulgarian freeriders did manage to get a house etc. when they entered Britain,
but they didn't fool anyone when trying to get a job.

However, if they seriously did want to work and were qualified for the jobs they tried to get (which I doubt from the other info you give),
then shame should be on the British.

I encounter a lot of groundless prejudice against Bulgarian and Rumanian people here in Holland too (those good-for-nothing gypsies will swamp our country, take our jobs and live for years on our pockets). A few years ago the same was said about people from Poland, and although then there were (and surely now there will also be) a few cases in which this was true, the extent of the abuse was far and far less than the eventual benefits.

My view: do not discriminate people in advance, give them a fair chance, but do not accept any nonsense.

I'd say let people have free movement in the EU but no welfare benefits - if you come to Britain you support yourself for several years paying tax before you get anything from Britain
You men wanting to become citizens should be required to do military service That would show how many really want to give to the country as well as take

I know a few people from middle east and North Africa who has no problem getting jobs or making friends here in New Zealand.
The reason for that, is they sell themselves and portray themselves as individuals rather than sell and portray themselves as a ethnic minority who has a hard time. I reckon this is true all over the world.

Very unappealing as a job interviewer when someone sells a sob story rather than how they can add to the company/business they apply for

One needs to prepare and keep on practicing being at a job interview.
I strongly suspect if I had a look at all the rejected Romanians and Bulgarians Cirriculum Vitae, I know they Anypsuck.

I feel a little sorry that the Bulgarians and Romanians have been made a scapegoat, before the Bulgarians and Romnians, it was the Polish who was hated as a immigration threat in the UK.

NO matter which country you are from, if you were to go to another country, all the difficulties of finding a new job and being accepted in that country is similar.
Take all the backpackers that come to my country (New Zealand) and try to find a job, they realize how hard it is and is not as easy as they thought it would be. Then there are the qualified professionals from the UK who come over, they struggle also, a few of them end up in totally different careers.

I have seen it all, people coming to NZ and struggling, those who leave NZ and go overseas to work and come back with there tails between their legs.

The most important lessons I have learnt, is preparation, preparation, preparation!!!!
If you want to work overseas, it is better to stay in your perspective country get the qualification and work experience and work reference before you leave, as that way you be more attractive.

If you move to another country to work, it is preferable to stay in that country for at least two years working, that way when you back home you have proven international work experience, which can help you advance your career or fast track you to the short list when looking for jobs.

In summary, I feel truly sorry for the Bulgarians and the Romanians being made the scapegoats, on the other hand, they should have prepared themselves .
better.

Also no matter which country people are form, they will always be those who abuse the welfare system, they are lots of reports in the news about UK citizens ripping the welfare system off and I know that they are people here in NZ ripping off the welfare system.

Last edited:
Back