Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
Cultural-export---German--010.jpg

Long live the Queen…German comedian Henning Wehn.

Angela Merkel is riding high. The Germans have voted. Merkel won the elections yesterday now she is not only her country’s most popular leader for a generation, but arguably the most respected politician in the world.

Germany's European domination will continue as countries in the south fall apart Germany has become an economic monster producing the best cars, it's optics industry is world renowned and even the Russians ordered high-speed trains from Siemens that will run between Moscow and St. Petersburg.

Germany will continue to prosper but on the whole I personally believe Europe is not out of the woods yet and despite the bailouts there is still a risk the euro may fall apart.

Your views?

I agree. We are not out of the woods yet - and if the euro does fall apart that will be a disaster for the whole of Europe, including countries like mine (UK) which is not in the euro.

I admire German technological achievments.

In Bulgaria the vast majority of population drive BMW or Audi, trains we ride on were made by Siemens, spectacles we wear by Zeiss, cosmetics from Nivea.

Muesli for breakfast sold in supermarkets here are from Germany...we are flooded with German goods not sure about other nations.

As much as I admire German products, I think Britain is the cultural dynamo of Europe by a million miles.

Germany will be socially even colder with this Chancellor.
I did not vote for Mrs Merkel.

Please elaborate on what you mean by "socially cold"?

Merkel will have to go into coalition with one of the left wing parties and adopt softer policies
Nivea was originally British !

As much as I admire German products, I think Britain is the cultural dynamo of Europe by a million miles.

Interesting remark, please elaborate a little about why you think so (and which aspects of culture you mean).
I don't disagree or anything, I'm just a little surprised and interested.

I wonder how soon Merkel's glow will dim now she has to negotiate seriously with social democrats BTW. I'm an interested neighbour of the Germans, but share Soldier Tom's view about the rather cold social climate (in terms of government support, not human relationships).

I believe this will her last full term in office.

Then she will go and work in the UN as Secretary-General.

I predict a lot of political drama in during her last term in office, it will fun to observe all the in-fighting, one up-manship, scandals and etc that comes with the Chieftains or Parties last term in office....

I have huge respect for her Policital and PR Spin team!!!!
Bravo!!!

Nivea was originally British !

From what I've read Nivea originated in Germany when Beiersdorf was founded on March 28, 1882.

Interesting remark, please elaborate a little about why you think so (and which aspects of culture you mean).
I don't disagree or anything, I'm just a little surprised and interested.

Harry Potter, Downton Abbey, BBC documentaries, drama series to name just a few....all are all extremely popular throughout Europe and beyond.

BBC radio and television are blasting from homes in Bulgaria.

British rock bands are incredibly popular.

It's true that BBC makes a lot of money from selling foreign rights, which explains why so much of its content is shown overseas Germans don't but there we are, no German films have become popular, no significant tv series have a cult following like Downton Abbey for example.

Meat Pie,

Those are very general comments, in what context are they a cultural dynamo of europe?
What is so special and unique about this cultural dynamo that makes the British so unique?

I just gave you very specific examples from recent years of how British culture really stands out from the rest of Europe.

Britain is the world's leader in what's called "soft power" – a country's ability to make friends and influence people not through military and economic might but through culture, education, language and values.

Germany, by contrast, is currently feared and hated in Southern Europe for its economic dominance.

Merkel has agreed to bailout Greece, Portugal and Spain in part but only if they accept HER terms.

I am not against any nation just stating my views.

Meat Pie,

BBC documentaries, yes I totally agree, they are excellent.
The British Royal family has played an important part in British culture.
UK have been going through this British revival phase for the last few years.
British comedy is a huge part of their culture.

Kind of understand where you are coming from.....so, how has British culture influenced you? Judging by your responses, it has impacted you greatly and how has British culture influenced your country?

Influence is mainly through BBC documentaries as they cover a wide variety of topics and have changed my views on a lot of things from science to daily life.

Britan and the USA defeated Hitler and that's by far their biggest influence on my country's history, otherwise we would still be a part of Germany.

Influence is mainly through BBC documentaries as they cover a wide variety of topics and have changed my views on a lot of things from science to daily life.

Britan and the USA defeated Hitler and that's by far their biggest influence on my country's history, otherwise we would still be a part of Germany.

Good enough explination:peace:

Just watched BBC A history of Syria, check it out if you want to know why the conflict in Syria has turned into a bloody civil war that may lead to profound changes in the Middle East and the rest of the world.

Glad she won. Angela Merkel is well-liked and respected in the States. She has steered Germany through the toughest economic crisis since the great depression.

BBC documentaries, drama series to name just a few....all are all extremely popular throughout Europe and beyond. BBC radio and television are blasting from homes in Bulgaria. It's true that BBC makes a lot of money from selling foreign rights, which explains why so much of its content is shown overseas Germans don't but there we are, no German films have become popular, no significant tv series have a cult following like Downton Abbey for example.

Ah yes, in Holland many people watch BBC often, and British TV series are certainly among the finest in the world (amazing the enormous amount of exquisite historic and aesthetic detail they meticulously put into even trivial detective story series like Agatha Christie's Poirot or Morse or Frost etc etc etc), so I totally agree with you there. In art (paintings, sculpture) and literature (sorry, Harry Potter is a great success but (at least in MHO) not a beacon of culture, but maybe I'm snobbish now) I would favor the Germans though.

The British have one VERY great advantage over Germans though: they speak English, by far the most spoken SECOND language in the world (not to mention the vast amount of native speakers as well). So German TV series must either be dubbed or subtitled, and of course there is not much sympathy since WWII, WWI and the french-German wars of the 19th century) for the 'sound' of their language either. Still I'd favor Berlin over London as cultural focus today. Germany is presently the economic engine of Europe, and the rebuilt and revitalized capital (after the reunion) is brimming with life. London is far more old-fashioned, and is losing the connection with 21th-century developments.

Actually I hope southern and eastern Europe (with Albania, and Bulgaria, and certainly including Turkey) will rise to play a more prominent role in Europe soon. The 'old world' needs to be reminded it takes all kinds to make a world....

Very happy

Very happy, a few days can meet with everybody in here, this is a beautiful day,hope everything next smoothly

I admire German technological achievments.

In Bulgaria the vast majority of population drive BMW or Audi, trains we ride on were made by Siemens, spectacles we wear by Zeiss, cosmetics from Nivea.

Muesli for breakfast sold in supermarkets here are from Germany...we are flooded with German goods not sure about other nations.
What you describe is the effect of a too fast expansion of the EU. Native industry will be overrun especially in countries like your one. I really hope your government will avoid the introduction of the Euro as long as possible. You see in Greece what happens if a country is not prepared for that.

Germany will be socially even colder with this Chancellor.
I did not vote for Mrs Merkel.
Colder as just in the moment is not possible anymore :) because they have to do a coalition with the red ones (social democrats are in germany referenced as red) politics will turn more left.

The euro has lost it appeal, EU countries are incompatible, smaller nations will never be able to compete with Germany.

Back