The term meant finding a freshly dead man with a hard cock, as if when dying and on his way to the afterlife he got hard ready to fuck an angel when he arrived.
Often hardons and ejaculation were seen in men being hanged, it is also common in men dying violently, many corpses on the battlefield are found with cocks hard - although war films don't show it.

Its the result of gravity acting on blood. In life, the heart beats to pump blood and maintain blood pressure. In death all the blood pools to wherever is closest to gravity. In a hanged male or a drowned corpse (floating face down) the blood will pool into the penis and lower body thus giving the appearance of an erection.

Lycanthrope is right but that's not the only reason. In hanging or any form of strangling, the rope (or whatever) can press on the sympathetic nerves (or is it parasympathetic?) which control the body's general state of arousal, causing automatic erection (and also pissing and defecation). spinal injuries can have the same effect. That's presumably the reason for the battlefield erections that kiltedsoldier talks about. Also, partial asphyxia heightens erotic feelings and causes arousal - so the hanging man may well start to get an erection from the presure on his nerves, as he struggles it moves against his underwear that's intensely stimulating, and ... He may also be shitting his pants as he thrashes about.
So the guy who dies with angel lust may actually had a hard-on and even an intnse orgasm during his death, though I suspct that's not as common as many of us would ike to think!

If the hanging men get angel lust and ejaculate I don`t think they are aware of this-I have experienced partial hanging and despite the erotic fantasies connected with this, the reality was just panic,blackness closing in and pain in the face from the blood pressure.
There are a few accounts by people who have survived judicial hanging but these don`t mention pissing etc only agonising head and neck pain afterwards.
I would definately like to hear evidence that they are aware of hard on etc.

I'm not sure how much they'd be aware of it. Guys who play-hang are certainly awae of their hard-on etc, but in that situation they're pbably a.ready hard before the asphyxia cuts in. I chatted to one guy whose play almost went too far (he passed out and because he was thrashing his buddy didn't realise at first). He remebers feeling warm piss running down his legs, but unable to do anything about it and it didn't matter to him.

The term meant finding a freshly dead man with a hard cock, as if when dying and on his way to the afterlife he got hard ready to fuck an angel when he arrived.
Often hardons and ejaculation were seen in men being hanged, it is also common in men dying violently, many corpses on the battlefield are found with cocks hard - although war films don't show it.

This is also true in men that die of electrocution and I have seen autopsy photos with a full erection. Would love to see some of those again.

It is probably true that the hard-on in play hanging or accidental autoerotic hangings comes about because they are already hard as they are aroused by the act. In real hangings, it is more likely to be the collection of blood no longer pumping - there is some medical doctors who tell of guys about to be executed whose penises shrivel from fear too.

Somewhere here was a link to Roman crucifixion, the person crucified being naked because he would experience the embarrassment of an erection.

Back