Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
article-2179556-143C01F6000005DC-417_964x640.jpg

More familiar to the desert of Saharan Africa, the first massive dust cloud of the year has engulfed the city of Phoenix cutting off power to 9,000 homes and closing the international airport for 20 minutes.

Known as a haboob, which is Arabic for 'strong wind', the storm's yellowy grey dust cloud was traveling at 35 mph, was around 2,000 feet tall and almost 100km wide.

Caused by Arizona's monsoon season which begins in early June and runs through till the end of September, haboob's only occur in Africa, the Middle East, Australia and Phoenix, Arizona.

article-2179556-143C01FC000005DC-387_964x640.jpg

They are becoming much more regular of an occurrence as last monsoon season was a bust. The weather people get all worked-up about monsoon storms and we only get the dust and 12 drops of rain - enough to bake on your windshield and make it look like you have gone off-roading in a BMW or whatever you drive. It is fun to get caught in one on the freeway. It is like being caught in a vacuum cleaner dust receptacle. Dust finds its way into your car from every known and unknown origin. Keeps the car washes in business, so there is some good in it; I guess.

I used to live in Phoenix and Tucson years ago and I remember those dust storm. Quite scary especially on the freeway. Even when you pull over to the emergency lane, you never know if someone will rear-end you...

Where were you born mx?

Why did you relocate?

Ha ha... rear- end you ha ha ha.... aint it the best way to die? With a good FUCK up the bum!! That'll surely knock your soul flying off to hell LOL

Back