Meatpie

OWNER/ADMIN
Staff member
Administrator
lhc.jpg

Scientists at CERN are to make an important announcement on Wednesday, July 4, 2012 about their hunt for the elusive sub-atomic particle.

Physicists have said previously they are increasingly confident that they are closing in on it based on hints at its existence hidden away in reams of data.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18693744

It is exciting that scientists may final proove its existence. But, I can't help but feel that ten billion dollars could have gone a long way to stop the spread of disease and famine in the world. It almost always turns out that huge government investments into technology usually have a hidden agenda of creating new weapons. I just wonder what they will do if they learn to manipulate a Higgs particle, create a planet destroying weapon for a death star maybe?

I just wonder what they will do if they learn to manipulate a Higgs particle, create a planet destroying weapon for a death star maybe?

Higgs boson exists for only a tiny fraction of a second before breaking up into other particles, that's why it's extremely hard to detect.

The article on wikipedia is currently closed for editing because of the huge interest in the Higgs. Yesterday the article read "A Higgs boson is a particle.." but today it has been edited into "The Higgs boson is a hypothetical particle" :hahahahha:

BTW essential parts of the LHC were produced in Sofia, Bulgaria and then delivered to CERN for over $5,000,000.

boz_dsc_0030.jpg

Young Bulgarian physicists gave a press conference today in Sofia announcing their contribution to the discovery of the Higgs boson.

Abdominal obesity is common among scientists as they spend long hours sitting and reading.

This Particle helps to prove that things have mass in the standard model of physics. Not much use in weapon manufacture or the creation of planets really, tho love the Star Wars reference.

Back