markfive

Forum Resident
What does it mean when you right-click the green bars under your name and it says you have a "reputation beyond repute"? Reputation and repute are synonyms, so that statement just self-cancels. "Beyond reproach" would work if it's good, and "Beyond repair" would be funny if it's bad, as it is it just says nothing much.

Reputation is the good name/high regard that someone or something gets for good quality work or good quality workmanship. Of course it can also be used negatively for bad work and workmanship although the positive use is more common. Repute refers to the opinion that people hold - in other words what other people think of you. It is if you like more abstract in meaning and is used in expressions like: of high repute/of low repute - people have a high or low opinion of something.

Reputation is the good name/high regard that someone or something gets for good quality work or good quality workmanship. Of course it can also be used negatively for bad work and workmanship although the positive use is more common. Repute refers to the opinion that people hold - in other words what other people think of you. It is if you like more abstract in meaning and is used in expressions like: of high repute/of low repute - people have a high or low opinion of something.

Superb explanation, Pie.

I completely understand and interpret this phrase precisely as you so do.

I do not find it at all self-cancelling; rather, I find it absolutely articulate, erudite and I also like your most clever alliteration.

:excellent::excellent::excellent:

Back